Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by JEZ@LADSB, Jun 22, 2003.

JEZ@LADSB Member

I am a registered nurse working days, nights and weekends. Band mondays and wednesdays and weekend engagements. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to meet new people and have a life. Quiting work or band isn't an option as no other job in the area pays the same. Banding has been in my life for the last 20 odd years and I love it too much.
  2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I had a couple of years juggling shift-work before I managed to settle on a position where I work permanent days, and know how awkward it can be. I always found the hardest thing was coping with the change from days to nights etc - whether to stay up and go to bed really tired or to snatch a couple of hours and force myself to get up again! What I would say is that the band (and choir) leaders were very understanding, and fully understood if I needed to miss a practice occasionally. If you need to take a break, better to do that than to get over-tired and ratty, which can definitely be counter-productive.
  3. Euph-Bari

Euph-Bari Active Member

my sister joined the police a few years back, so with all the shifts she has found it very hard to fit band in. she plays when she can but the thing is if she can do rehersals before a contes/concert she usually can't do the actuall thing - and vica versa. not a sugestion just sayin
  4. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

We have a number of players who work shifts or who frequently find themselves working away from home. My own view is that the band should support them wherever possible and do all we can to help them keep their playing going. It would be all too easy to say 'if you can't give 100% then you're out' but modern working practices are not always conducive to good banding and probably a major reason behind the player shotages which some bands are experiencing.

The trade off is that we need to keep extra players in some sections so that we aways get a decent turn out at rehearsals and engagements, and in some cases the shift workers have to take a back seat on contest days when numbers are restricted.

5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

When I was in the forces I was due to sing in the chorus at a Salvation Army festival involving the festival chorus and the International Staff Band. The rehearsal dates were free, as was the date of the concert. It was decided to record items beforehand, rather than on the day, and I was clear for those dates as well, and then got landed with an engagement on the day of the concert. My wife tells me she can pick out my tenor voice quite clearly on the lp (Festival Salute), although I missed the concert itself :!: :!: :!:
  6. blondie

blondie Member

I'm afraid I can't give you any useful advice, only to say that whilst I was at 6th Form College I eventually had to try and find time for myself, as I ended up making myself quite ill as a result of racing around all the time.

I was playing in 12 groups/bands during the week and singing with a choir, I was trying to hold down a job and do my studies as well, not eating properly and going without sleep quite often.

So this is just to say that its not always better to be really busy all the time. Just my opinion.