Sheona White makes national news headlines

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by T Winch, Jul 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T Winch

T Winch Member

Listening to the national news on Radio 2 on the way into work this morning I was surprised to hear a news item about Sheona White being the first female player to join Grimethorpe Colliery Band. It received almost as much airtime as the gulf oil leak!! Even more surprising, it wasn't patronising or stereotypical in any way :eek:

No doubt somebody more computer literate than me will provide a link to the item on BBC iPlayer
  2. alanl58

alanl58 Member

It was also on the Radio 4 national news at 8.00pm.

But what sort of image does this announcement create for brass banding when ladies have been prominent members of other bands for years? Seems to me that the image of "men only" created in "Brassed Off" is still prevalent in the media.

3. KenIrvin

KenIrvin Member

Try this one from the BBC web site
  4. T Winch

T Winch Member

The article on the BBC website does make a point of mentioning that Grimethorpe are one of only two remaining "men only" bands.
  5. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

How come when I've seen them in concert they've had a female horn player then?

Cancel that question. The BBC news link gave me the answer.
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  6. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

8.00am, in fact. By 8.00pm it will be doing whatever the aural equivalent of wrapping up fish and chips is. But we take your point.

Don't blame the messenger. If bands have allowed a certain image of bands to persist, it is wholly their fault for failing to address the problem. The world does not owe bands a living.

This episode has all the hallmarks of shrewd news management by the Grimethorpe administrators - well done to them. I suspect that it may also cast some light on the shenanigans which affected the band last year.
  7. baridis

baridis Member

Just been on Look North. Must be a slow news day...
  8. bannisa

bannisa Member

i'm not aware of us being affected by any shenanigans jim. Please enlighten me as to what you mean.
    Andrew bannister
    Assistant principal cornet
    Grimethorpe colliery band
  9. James Yelland

I was referring to the sacking of Roger Webster and Ian Shires, and the subsequent resignation of Shaun Crowther in late 2008/early 2009, a period which Mr Crowther described at the time as one where there was 'a lot going on' and reported differences of opinion between the band and its trustees. It was sufficiently high profile to make a couple of national newspapers.

However, if you are saying this had nothing to do with the issue of female players, then, of course, I entirely accept your word.
  10. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Any band that Sheona commits herself to will only find their horn section ehanced enormously! Best horn player I've had the pleasure to know in a long time! :clap:
  11. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

It's old news dead and buried long ago.

It's great that Grimethorpe have tempted back such a fantastic horn player on to a regular seat. And if it has been managed thus, well done to the back room team for getting a brass band in to the national news headlines.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2010
  12. James Yelland

Like you, I am supportive of Grimethorpe and approve of their latest news. May I politely suggest that you read my original post (#6), and then read my subsequent exchange with Mr Bannister. You will then have my comments in proper context.

May I also politely suggest that if you are unable to moderate your language towards me, I shall ask a moderator to help you do so.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2010
  13. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I'm pretty sure Garry was only joking here.
    nevertheless, I have removed the potentially insulting word from his post (and your quote)
  14. James Yelland

Thank you.
  15. Steve

Steve Active Member

Couldn't be more wrong if you had tried, hope that clears it up.
  16. Flugette

Flugette New Member

Agreed. Certainly one of the best horn players ever.
  17. Bandstand

Bandstand Member

Sheona not the first lady to play in a contest for Grimethorpe

You can listen to Terry Webster from Grimethorpe talking about female players on our radio programme at 10pm tonight. This is a repeat of last Sunday's Yorkshire Day Special - playing only bands from Yorkshire. Terry reveals that Sheona White is not the first female player to play in a contest for Grimethorpe!
  18. swisscornet

swisscornet Member

Has Sheona White already left Grimethorpe?
  19. bannisa

bannisa Member

After Arfon Owen left the band, Sheona signed for us in order to help us out for the British Open. She also played solo horn on our Swiss tour in August and at a couple of concerts after the Open.
    Sheona is extremely busy with her job as head of music at a school and therefore was never looking to commit full time to any band.
    We are grateful for her help over that period and she remains a friend of the band. A great horn player and lovely person too.
    Our full time solo horn player is now Scot Bennett and he will make his contesting debut at Brass in Concert.
    So, in answer to your original question Claudio, Sheona is no longer playing for us but that was always going to be the case anyway.

Best Regards

Andrew Bannister
    Grimethorpe Colliery Band
  20. swisscornet

swisscornet Member

thanks for the clarification Andrew. Reading through the various articles in the news, I assumed she had joined Grimethorpe permanently. Therefore I was surprised not to see her at the concert in Basingstoke.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.