Shenandoah arrangement sought

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Dave Euph, May 15, 2006.

1. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Hey, I'm looking for an arrangement of the song "Shenandoah" for Brass Band that I can use with my band. However, I am looking for a specific arrangement that I played with my old youth band before I moved to Huddersfield.

Problem is, I haven't got a clue who arranged it! So, to see if anyone has an idea, I'll try to describe how it goes :) :

- Starts with octave basses before a 3-4 bar phrase by the whole band as an introduction.

- This moves onto a horn solo that plays the "theme" (the original shenandoah song) while the 1st baritone and euphoniums do counter-melodies. The cornets take over the theme before the end of the "verse".

- The next section is similar to the opening with the octave basses preceeding the rest of the band, which leads neatly to the second verse.

- This verse is much grander than before, with sweeping euphonium lines as an accompaniment (a couple of ascending scalic lines may jog some euph players memories :)).

It's not a lot to go on, although any suggestions on any arrangements that you know of (whether it's the right one or not) would be gratefully received. Thanks.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Shenandoah
    Brass Band
    Huddersfield
    theme
    Shenandoah arrangement
  3. dyl

dyl Active Member

It's not the one you want, but Leonard Ballantine's 'Mid All The Traffic' is by far the best one I've heard. Highly recommended.

Euphonium Lite likes this.
  4. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I know Nigel Horne has done an arrangement - no idea if it is the same one though.

5. HBB

HBB Active Member

I think it's David Beale's from Headline Music (if I remember rightly - the title was writen in really curly script)

6. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

It's a long time since I heard it, but Steven Bulla did one a few years ago (pub Winwood Music)

7. Dawnys_flug

Dawnys_flug Member

I agree, 'Mid all the Traffic' is gorgeous dave! The one we did at uni, get that one, get that one!!! xx

8. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

Flixton Band did the SA publication "Mid all the Traffic" on their CD, and wow, what an arrangement.

9. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Alright, wicked, I've got a few promising leads now. Indeed, I agree 'Mid all the traffic is lovely, but I'm seeking the specific arrangement that I loved from my youth banding days, tho I daresay it would be a more than worthy alternative!

Thanks for the replies.

10. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Dave there is a euph solo version by Stephen Bulla, although I don't think thats the one you're after.

There is also an excellent arrangement by Alan Fernie

11. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Just to add to the list, there's also a good arrangement by James Gourlay, recorded by him with Brass Band Berner Oberland on the cd "Mountain Song".

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Shenandoah
    Brass Band
    Huddersfield
    theme
    Shenandoah arrangement
  13. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Thanks for the recommendation, Dyl.
    It continues to be a very popular arrangement with many bands.
    Here's the link to the listing on the WoB site; http://www.worldofbrass.com/acatalog/29527.html

14. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

The Euph arrangement is by Steven Bulla , rosehill or windwood ( ta Mr Sparke) got a set and solo part if difficult to get hold of.
    Sorry Peter no Shenedoah on the Mountain Song - BBO Recording

15. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

My mistake - it's on "Festive Brass", and the arrangement is published by Inter-Musique in Switzerland.

16. honey bun

honey bun Active Member

I think it is this one. We had to play it at Milton Kynes contest a few years ago as the set piece (when MK was entertainments contest) and had it played at my wedding - its really nice.

Larch Music likes this.
  17. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

It's ok , just don't do it again..mods making mistakes whatever next..
    Festive brass is a great cd , available from the BBO website ,it's a great Mix of JG arranements and brillaint orginal works like Jean Ballissat's 2nd Sinfionetta for Band.
    Track listing is
    Triple Champions! (Gourlay)
    Shenandoah (Trad, arr.Gourlay)
    Four Dances from Nutcracker (Tschaikovsky, arr.Gourlay)
    Trombonology (Dorsey, arr.Clark)
    Chanson Suisse (Trad, arr.Woodfield)
    12th Street Rag (Bowman, arr.Gourlay)
    Georgia on my Mind (arr.Clark)
    The Cossack (Rimmer)
    2nd Sinfonietta for Band (Balissat)
    La Boda de Luis Alonso (Gimenez, arr.Gourlay)
    Feierlicher Einzug (Strauss, arr.Gourlay)

But back on topic , if you can't get hold of set / score / solo part to Steven Bulla's Shenendoah drop me a line and I can get the set over to you.
    Ta

18. winterman

winterman Member

I second that.. Only a few weeks ago I dug out my ISB 'Manuscripts' CD to have a listen to it.. very good indeed.

19. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

I just happen to be sorting our library out and I just happen to have this arr in front of me right now! It's a Euph Solo, Lower band only (Cornets/2nd Euph Tacet) Copyright 1981, published by Rosehill.

20. Larch Music

Larch Music New Member