Sheffield Wednesday Band cut down...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by nickjones, Mar 3, 2005.

1. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Just heard that Dave Allen ( chairman of the Owls ) is to cut the support to the Sheffield Wednesday club band ( and I think they play at the england games too)..so they are reducing in numbers , got to say WHY mr Allen?????????? I have the seen the band a few times when the mighty Wolves went to Hillsboro to play the Owls..what a great bunch.
    It just seems a shame...any views on this , and why it has happend??? :(

2. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Read about this in the Sheffield Star t'other week. All I can say is thank the Lord for small mercies!!! :clap:

3. treblif

treblif New Member

Seen and heard them at England games and i know a lot of people don't like them (englandfans).

I think their great though and the feeling of being in portugal at 11pm and hearing the band and 3,000 england fans across the street singing and playing god save the queen and rule brittanias excellent.
    The represented (along with other fan groups) the england fans behaving and still having a good time.

They werent sacked just told to be reduced from about 11 to 5 and they said its all or nothing and took nothing, but will still go to away games.

4. postie

postie Member

Its not the normal reason where Sheffield Wednesday come in is it? The debt of £15 million.

5. MajorMorgan

MajorMorgan Member

Wolves band!

I was once part of a band put together by Wolves - it was off the back of World Cup 98 and we played at Robbie Dennison's testimonial against Blackburn. We then did a league cup game against Barnet and a league game against Swindon - then a bunch of fans complained we were too loud and we never got asked back.

Good laugh though and got me into a few games for free - plus the player's lounge afterwards! Down on the pitch playing 'Danny Boy' while Robbie Dennison came out the tunnel was pretty good. Got our picture in the Sun as well (and the Express and Star of course).

We did get into a bit of trouble though - I'll never forget the look on the face of the Swindon fans as we stood at the bottom of the Jack Harris stand playing 'Old Macdonald had a Farm'!

6. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

As a Wednesday fan, I can't see the point in cutting them down, certainly for home games as the ground is never full on matchday. What the club will lose in money, they will gain in atmosphere at the ground.