Shaving (men only - I hope!)

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Matt Lawson, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

Right guys, how many of you have this problem?

If you're a scruffy student type like me and forget to have a shave for a few days, do you find that your playing isn't right for a day or two afterwards?

Is it due to the change in embouchure shape once the 'hairy bits' have gone from above the top lip?

Seems like a random question, but it certainly feels different playing with and without a bit of fluff on the old face.
  2. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

I find it best after a couple of days so theres some "grip" for want of a better word. Leave it too long and it gets uncomfortable though.
  3. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Buy yourself one of the new Gillette Fusion razors. Best shave I've had in a long time.
  4. JohnnyEuph

JohnnyEuph Member

I notice if I shave just before band my top lip gets a bit itchy, and after a bit the lip is more slippery. i think the open pores and raw skin is much more sensitive. bound to affect your playing somehow
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2006
  5. sunny_jimbob

sunny_jimbob Member

I can't play with any stubble at all on my bottom lip. It's uncomfortable beyond belief. Also, I can only play with a little stubble on my top lip; too much, and my production goes all shonky*.

*yes yes, I know that to go somewhere you have to start somewhere else...
  6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I suppose, for some players, it depends on what time of day it is .... ;)

7. JohnnyEuph

JohnnyEuph Member

i sometimes get a really annoying spot in the middle of my top lip after shaving and then playing! well annoying!
  8. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

I agree. Thank goodness other find this too - i thought i was weird (don't answer that please!).:rolleyes:

I always avoid shaving on the day of a concert or contest as i feel like i have no control over my lip (please refer to my comment above!:rolleyes: ) it took me a while to work out what was causing it - Thankfully with my baby faced, youthful good looks i don't look too scruffy.:tongue:

Any tips anyone apart from the Gillette (other razors are avaiable) thing??
  9. Flugelmahorn

Flugelmahorn Member

I'm the opposite - if I leave the stubble I find I can't play anywhere near as well - lose the feeling of a solid embochure, sound and range are both weakened, so for a big concert or big contest day I always make sure I'm as well shorn as possible.

I second John's comment here. I thought the Mach3 was the daddy, but the new Fusion is definitely the best razor I've used.
  10. robcornet

robcornet Member

You could try percussion as doesn't affect them!!!!:biggrin:

I have a reheasal tonight so won't shave and report back with my findings after rehearsal.:biggrin:
  11. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

I used to find that I found it more difficult to play after shaving - but then I got a proper job and it's the other way round now!! I never used to shave on the day of a contest but now if I don't it's really itchy - like someone else mentioned...
  12. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Hi Matt.
    well if the band are going to a contest i never shave for a fornight and i look a right scruffy sight and get called a few names.:biggrin:
    But on the day of the contest i have a shave drop a warm face cloth on my skin and a dab of aftershave i find it works ok for me.;)
    I only do this for contests however its a supersistion i have had for the last 20 years.:eek:
  13. b ross

b ross Member

I used to play with a silly looking goatie many moons ago and found it no problem but now my lip gets knackered really quickly if I have any more than a good days growth!
    The solution I find the best is just not to play!:eek:
  14. 1st Position

1st Position Member

Having a moustache elimnates all of the problems of top lip stubble! It's been shaved off twice in the last 23 years. After six months, the first time I shaved it off,my lip went all spotty so the 'tash came back. The second time after 22 years, there was no noticeable difference to my embouchure, but it looked like someone else in the mirror, so it had to come back.

The rest of my face gets done with Wilkinson Sword 'Quattro' and King of Shaves Shaving Gel. Always a better shave with a couple of days growth.
  15. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

They laughed at me at band the other night when i suggested that the reason i couldn't hit a not cleanly above an f was because i had just shaved. I can't play with stubble, it hurts too much, but similarly if i shave immediately before playing my lip is too slippery and can't get any purchase on the mouthpiece.

see my thread on this subject from yonks ago!
  16. sooooper sop

sooooper sop Member

I always have to have a very close shave before playing, if i don't my lips get uncomfortable, any more than a days growth and I sometimes get an annoying leak at the edge of my mouthpeice!
  17. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

I always stay clean shaven now.

Personally its because I dont like the look of stubble, I got told about 3 months ago that it makes me look old :frown:

But face fur makes no difference to my playing whatsoever??

18. horn__blower

horn__blower Member

hehe lol.
    oh it must be so hard being a man!! :)
  19. timbloke

timbloke Member

I think beards are clearly the way forward. That way you can not shave for a few days and not look too scruffy (just looks like a wilder beard), then when you do shave you dont affect your playing. That said I do struggle when my beard gets past a certain length.
  20. ekimmort

ekimmort Member

Do you still suffer with the bleeding lip. Please note moderators bleeding as in blood.