Sharing proceeds from carolling

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Brassy Lady, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Brassy Lady

Brassy Lady Member

Has anybody out there been asked, when carolling and collecting at supermarkets, to share the proceeds?
    We are taking our youngsters to Tesco on Saturday and intend to collect for our instrument fund. The management at Tesco have informed us that they expect 50% of what we collect for 'their' charity. I have never heard of this before, despite years of playing outside supermarkets.
    Has this happened to any other band, and am I being uncharitable for feeling a little miffed?

2. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Every little helps!:biggrin:

3. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

Last year was my first Christmas playing with a brass band and personally, I was incredibly shocked that the band collected for their own funds at all! When I put money in a collection box, I always hope it will be going to a worthy cause, and funding someone else's hobby is not a worthy cause in my book!

I think it's perfectly reasonable for Tesco to want to split the proceeds. They are allowing you to use their space for carolling in the first place.

4. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Hmm, while I agree with the last part of this - after all, it is their land you are carolling on, their shoppers that you are targetting, and I have no real problem with sharing the proceeds with another good cause. If you do, then there are probably loads of other supermarkets in the area.

However, many brass bands are registered charities in their own right, and so collecting for the bands funds isn't strictly funding someone else's hobby. Many bands (I don't know about yours) have charitable aims - providing free tuition to youngsters etc, and doing free concerts for worthy local causes. I don't see that collecting while the band is providing what is in effect a free concert outside a supermarket is any different or less worthy to having a concert in a theatre and charging admission. The money still goes into band funds after all.

5. Brassy Lady

Brassy Lady Member

So creating a training band, keeping youngsters off the street, teaching them to play an instrument, and trying to provide them with decent instruments to learn on isn't a worthy cause?
    My point is that I have never known this happen before, had they asked for a contribution from what was collected it might not have rankled so much.

6. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

I suppose this may be something born from previous dealings with brass bands. Maybe they have had bands in the past who played, took the 100% collection and then split it between themselves? Never done it myself but I am sure this happens.

As long as Tesco put the 50% in their charity pot, then I suppose all is well. As for funding someone elses hobby then that is a bit harsh.

When you think about it, the 50% split may be a blessing in disguise - your band gets 1/2 takings from a potential killer gig (Tesco on a weekend), Tesco get some free entertainment for the cash-splashing public and hopefully some charity somewhere gets the benefit from it all.

Everyone wins, surely?

7. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I know it happens, so I'm sure you're right. I can kind of see the point that Tesco have the right to dictate the terms, but I'd have to take the cynical view and say that they are getting free, live entertainment for their stressed out shoppers; to then take 50% of the collected money from the band is a bit much, even if they are giving to another charitable cause. Frankly, with the profits Tesco make, there's no reason why they couldn't simply match whatever the band collected for themselves with a donation to their chosen charity. Tesco aren't great at this sort of thing though, the local one to me (in Prestwich) refused point blank to allow Blackley in at all; kudos to Sainsbury's at Heaton Park, who had no problem with it and one year had a different band every weekend!

8. dyl

dyl Active Member

Hehe!

Seriously - I'll find out whether this is a contry-wide Tesco thing on Saturday when we're carolling at Tesco's Bangor.

And to Daisy Duck - I'm pretty sure that it's only at Christmas time when you get see and hear bands playing outside supermarkets - whereas other organisations and charities can be seen regularly throughout the year. I'm probably not just speaking for my band here, but most bands rely on the Christmas period to fund their activities for the majority of the following year - so having to give half of these proceeds away would probably force bands to look at other venues/avenues - and not only spoil the shopping experience for those who enjoy and look forward to hearing bands, but seriously damage bands' ability to keep going should other venues not be found.

9. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

... and to add to what Dyl says...

If it were not for monies raised and collected specifically at Christmas time, many bands would not exist at all. Bands and funding have a tentative relationship indeed.

10. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

We have been carolling at TESCO's for years and don't give them a penny! However, we collect for the local newspapers charity appeal and we give them 50%.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    anybody
    proceeds
    B
    Sharing proceeds
    carolling
  12. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

You'd be speaking very much for my band there Dyl too. Christmas is crucial for us to keep the band running for another year, and epsecially to ease the cashflow through January, which is usually fairly quiet in terms of concerts, and we normally have added outlay from extra rehearsals (room bookings, MD's fees) for the run-up to the Area.

Back to Tesco's, I can kinda see where they're coming from, but I do think its pretty cheeky. I guess you have to make the choice - either do as they say or go somewhere else - other supermarkets are available! To answer the question, we have played at Tesco in the past and I'm not aware of this happening to us. But I have to say when I read the first post I was thinking "this sounds familiar" so maybe some supermarkets do do this.

One thing we had last year, which I thought was a bit odd - again at another (different) major supermarket chain - they insisted that we used their (sealed) collecting buckets (fair enough) but at the end of the day we had to hand in the buckets with the seal intact, and they would count the money and forward a cheque to the band. I guess this was to stop groups saying the money was going somewhere worthwhile when in fact they were just going to line their own pockets with it. But - and call me a cynic if you like - the final amount from that job was well down compared to the amount from the same place on the same weekend of the year before when we were allowed to take home the coins. Hmmmm!

Then again, maybe we have given 50% of our cash to charity, but we just didn't know about it!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2006
  13. postie

postie Member

Very interesting topic probably we will find out in a couple when we do Tesco's at Hucknall. I can't see Daisy Duck point at all take to the extreme. Bestwood do a Christmas Eve club run around Hucknall we would have to cancel that I suppose!!!!

14. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

I can understand the theory behind Tesco's split but it would be nice if local bands were to benefit from their other fundraising events, or even become their 'charity' for a year.

I can't recall any band that was the subject of a years fundraising by another organisation or business. Some bands, to their credit, raise money regularly for other charities when they are, for all intents and purposes, charities themselves. I will hapily do a limited number of freebies a year for charity but charity must start at home.

Igg

15. ekimmort

ekimmort Member

The East Riding of Yorkshire Band has played at Tesco stores and at Sainsbury's, we shared the proceeds with local charities who provided collectors. We believe that we collected more by assisting a charity than we would have done if we just collected for ourselves.

16. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

We have played at Tescos at Pitsea for many years and have never been asked to share the money raised with their own charity. I can't speak for this year, however, as they were unable to give us any dates that were suitable for us to go and play.

17. catherine_S

catherine_S Member

We've played at York Tesco's for years and have never been asked for money. However we are a Registered Charity in our own right so it's possible that that makes a difference. Mind you, as fara s I know other local bands who play there and are not charities haven't had to contribute either so maybe it's at the discretion of the manager. It has been getting more difficult to get permission though since the new Licensing Act, I gather - the charity thing may be a way round Tesco's having to have a music license?

18. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

A number of bands are registered charities - mine included.

19. Supermarkets and shopping centres are normally very good to SA bands when carolling and we've even been treated to cups of coffee and biscuits occasionally. I don't think we've ever had to split donations with them. Maybe thats because we are widely recognised as a charity, and perhaps some brass bands are not?!

20. Ffion Flugel

Ffion Flugel Member

We found that when we collected purely for charity rather than band funds we made much more money - and I have to say it felt "better" somehow. I guess it depends how supportive your local council and companies are when it comes to financing local "compulsory" band jobs as to whether you can afford to be altruistic.

Tescos certainly know how to see opportunities though - you wonder how long it will be before you have to pay them an entry fee before you can shop with them. Perhaps they could sponsor the band and collect all the carol money themselves?

21. Sopha

Sopha Active Member

Yep then only collecting for charity wouldnt help the band finatialy would it? I have nothing against raising money for charity and if people have found other ways to raise money then go for it but there are a lot more ways i guarantee that people can help out for charitys and can i just say to Daisy duck that i was rather annoyed when you quoted that raising money for band purposes isnt a "Worty Cause". Some people love helping out the band and spend a lot of money inproving the band/ buying new instruments ect.. but by this their helping our band community out! and instruments dont come cheap as many people would have found out im sure! so going caroling in local supermarkets - not only just ourselves enjoying it but many of the staff/customers do too- is one way of collecting i mean why not!? .. i honistly cant believe that Tesco have asked for 50% of the collectings! I know were on their property but at the end of the day people enjoy listening to us and it brings a real feel of christmas when playing the carols! Im still truely puzzeled as to why they would ask as you said yourself we wouldnt mind them asking for a donation towards their own charity but 50%! :eek:

Whats this world coming to ah?

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    anybody
    proceeds
    B
    Sharing proceeds
    carolling