Share My Yoke - Piano Accompaniment?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by little_miss_marcroft, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Hi all!

Does anyone have the piano accompaniment to Share My Yoke that I could use please? It's for our wedding day in May so if you think you can help, please send me a PM :)

LMM X
  2. pbirch

pbirch Member

its at world of brass
  3. Got it! Cheers!
  4. Active Member

Thanks for that.
    We recently published a number of solos with piano accompaniment that were previously only available with brass band accompaniment. Share My Yoke is twinned with Leslie Condon's Prayer of Childhood so you get 'two for the price of one' with this one.
  5. Trum

Trum Member

Great choice :)

I arranged it for 5 piece for my wedding last year. Such a beautiful piece.
  6. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

Hope that you got permission from Major Joy Webb to arrange this ;).
  7. Active Member

Technically speaking, it would be the publisher whose permission would have been required.
  8. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

As you mention this, I have a Question?

When I worked at SP&S in the 80's, in conversations with Lt-Col Bowes (and others in the IMED at the time) I was led to believe that all contributors of SA music had to agree to 'Tithe' the copyright to their works; particularly relevant at the time as nobody, other than SA Band, could purchase most SA band music (needing the signature of the BM or CO as I think it was at the time). This was becoming of interest as some of the Armys popular older composers (Heaton was the case that we were discussing) were about to come out of copyright under the old 50 year rule.

My question is basically is this still the same (ie contributors have to surrender the copyright)?

Because if thats not true then its surely perfectly acceptable to obtain permission to arrange from the composer?

Further to that if it is true, then when did the SA start giving permission to arrange SA songster pieces for publication outside of the SA?

Just interested to see how things have evolved from what I felt was a very strict regime when I worked there.
  9. Active Member

I would have thought that copyright is 'surrendered' by anyone who chooses to have their work published by another organisation, be that The Salvation Army, Wright & Round, Novello or whoever.

As a politician might say, I think the the question you are trying to ask concerns the 'gifting' of work to The Salvation Army. Due to the wider availability of music published by The Salvation Army, and in particular the active promotion of brass music, composers/arrangers now have the choice to 'gift' a work to The Salvation Army in its entirety or to enter into an agreement whereby certain revenues can be shared.

A tithe refers to a tenth of something which, as you'll be aware, is something quite different.

I'm not sure what you mean by this? Can you give me some examples please?
  10. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

I certainly do mean 'Gifting' its the word I was searching for.

One external publishing example that springs to mind (and yes I know its a singing Co song and not a Songster piece) is Major Webb's New Dimension. Now published by Pennine :

If the SA was Gifted the Copyright by Mjr Webb, (as it definitely was at the time it was published) then presumably the SA have given the arranger permission to arrange, and pennine permission to publish?
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  11. welshmike

welshmike Member

Just a quick note!

The score for the brass band arrangment is actually in concert pitch and can be quite adequately played by an accomplished pianist without any fuss.

Before anyone knocks this I actually used it a few years ago in a few solo contests and it worked fine! No arrangment issues here!

12. pbirch

pbirch Member

I would have thought that so long as the player doesn't think that this piece is about a softly poached egg (and I have heard it described as such), and finds the message behind the song, I don't think that we should worry - however I do understand that composers work is protected by copy-write for very good reasons, and I wouldn't want to transgress it
  13. pbirch

pbirch Member

could it be made available in concert pitch with piano, in bass clef as well?