Seven Basses - It's the future!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Pythagoras, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Have just finished a band tour in the Lake District, where our band had 7 basses, (including myself, tubafran and GeordieColin). Really added to the depth of the sound, and you should of heard Death or Glory! Think a re-orchestrating of bands is needed with fewer tin whistles and more basses.
  2. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

You are a visionary and an example to us all.
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

When I was at Birmingham for a short while in the summer of 1977 I was one of 7 basses in Birmingham Citadel Band under Bram Williams - 5 EEb & 2 BBb!

There was a drawback though, in that we also had 9 trombones :eek:
    (nothing personal, if any boners read this - I was once like you!)
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2005
  4. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Don't see the point myself... the more players you have the more tuning and balance become an issue, accompaniments becoming too thick for any solos etc. Unless of course you have 7 excellent players. In which case four would be enough anyway.
  5. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

On a course at Easter run by the Northern Brass Band Trust most sections had the correct number of players but we did have 9 basses
  6. basspower

basspower Member

We have 6 basses in our band (3 bb and 3 eb basses).

One of the bb basses is pilot and the other is working also in a Swiss aircontrol company with unusaly worktime.
    Sometime we are just 3 basses in the rehearsel and sometime (rarly) just 6.

But in a church with 6 basses is a quite a little bit strong but very cool for the fundament of the band!
  7. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

At NYBBS in 1998, we had 7 EEb Basses and just myself on BBb Bass, and then in 1999, there was 10 EEbs and me on BBb, think that was just a wee abit too much to have against 1 BBb! But still, loved every minute of it!

Tho at band just now, theres just me on BBb Bass and it just seems to be 1.25 EEbs instead of 2, oh to have a few more basses would be just wonderful......! :rolleyes:
  8. Steve Marcus

Steve Marcus Member

Most of the bands in the Championship Section at the World Music Contest in Kerkrade had at least 5 basses.

Perhaps we were at a disadvantage with a mere 4...
  9. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Fair enough...but when John Pullin and Andy Craig are not mentioned...I know THEY aren't adding pitch problems and are subtle enough to not cause balance probs...

(BTW Darth...your alpine tuba was Fanny...F---ing...tastic at N. Lincolnshire!!!)
  10. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Have played in a band with every section bigger than usual, including 7 trombones, about 20 cornets, 10 baritones/euphs, and 7 E flats basses with 2 B flat. The power coming from the bass section was astounding, and gave a real drive to the whole band! I loved feeling the floor vibrate with the final chord of 'Last Amen'!
  11. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I once played in a band with 14 sopranos and 28 basses...not to mention the rest...sure pitch is an issue, but the power is right nice!!
  12. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

When I was a child (only happened for a short while ;)) my school had a band of 200. There were 13 basses and they were all good.

It was an awesome sound.
  13. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

:) Please post any spare basses and trombone players to:

Long Eaton Silver Prize Band:biggrin:
    we have instruments to make a bass section of 6 and a bone section of 5 !!:biggrin:
  14. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

The "our" band in this case was Killamarsh Silver Band and not as you might have thought reading Daniel's signature, Dronfield.

Pat - true enough - John was happily putting the pedals in to generate a massive depth of sound - without being over the top. You really should have been playing with us to experience this.

We did have one hairy moment - Great Escape were the EEb have the bass tune that we all know and love - Colin was the only one that came in, played the first note and stopped for the next two wondering why 3 other EEbs weren't playing - we then all jumped in to pick up the 2nd bar - comment from Conductor - "what's the point of 7 basses if none of you come in?" (BBb excempted as they were tacit).

It was great to see you up on Friday night and once we get Prague out of the way I'll be in touch to sort out the details with you for our USA tour 2006. - Advance warning here for anyone wishing to join us on this trip - send me a pm and we'll put you on the waiting list.
  15. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Sorry Francis, have changed my signature.
  16. BOB_

BOB_ Member

iv not had the pleasure of 7 bsses though Sellers youth have the posibility of 6 next year but it all depends on collage timetables
  17. timbloke

timbloke Member

Daniel - Did you (or for that matter anyone else on the forum) ever take part in the annual Brass Bonanza in Bedford(shire) usually held at Newnham Middle School, or Sharnbrook Upper? That involved all of the brass players from around the north of the county coming together for a blow through and a concert. Mainly some very simple pieces as there were a lot of very young/inexperienced players. I remember doing Neighbours on our mouthpieces for one of the numbers. I think we usually had about 20 trombones, maybe 10 - 15 basses etc...

Did any other County Music Services put on events like this?
  18. timbloke

timbloke Member

also, at last weeks rehearsal we had 4 BBbs in a room at the same time.... What is the collective noun for BBb players?
  19. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

A Depth-Charge of BBbs? :)
  20. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Yes the borough of Croydon Music Service pu on a Brass Bonanza type thing last year for young players. Was alright, but standard had to be low enough to encompass grade 1's. Still we had 3 euphoniums, 6 basses, about 20-25 trombones, and way too many trumpets/cornets.