Sergei Nakariakov - genius or automaton?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Dave Payn, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I offer the latter option, merely as some I know have described him in such tones! I'm of the opinion that the man's a genius, and probably still not at his peak yet! It's fair to say that most of the tracks on his CDs have been to showcase his tremendous technical prowess but why not when you can play violinistic passages with consummate ease which no one would have dared touch not long ago? (I refer specifically to his rendition of Saint-Saens Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso on his album 'No Limit').

Even if his slow playing doesn't quite have the magic of a Maurice Andre or some of our best cornet soloists yet, it certainly is still worth listening to and it can only get better with experience. I also think he's taken flugelhorn playing to another dimension. His control over all ranges (inclding his remarkable facility in the pedal range) is astonishing to my ears.

Still, that's just an honest, humble opinion. Any other thoughts?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Sergei Nakariakov
    ease
    opinion
    genius
    most
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I like his trumpet-playing but I can't say I'm very struck on his flugel - just don't take to his tone at all, and found the Proms broadcast of the Gliere horn concerto on flugel just did nothing for me at all - much prefer it on horn.

4. cornetchap

cornetchap Member

From what I've heard of Sergei (which isn't very much) he seems like a genius to me, definitely will be getting his albums.

I've heard other people, notably my hero Wynton Marsalis, described as automatons before and have come to the conclusion that it must be out of jealously as I'd give my left leg to have just 1% of his or Sergei's talent!

5. Big Gav

Big Gav Member

This guy is OBVIOUSLY a world class player.
    As far as I'm concerned until you can play better than him DON'T CRITICISE!This is even truer if you dont play that instrument yourself!
    There is far too much criticism in the brass band movement,let's not start doing it in the classical world too!

Big Gav

6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

If you think this is criticism, try logging on to trombone.org and dip into the various threads on Alessi and Lindberg :!: :shock: :lol:

Seriously, musical tastes are bound to differ widely from one person to the next, and I don't see a problem in discussing these, providing it is all kept in perspective, and doesn't degenerate into a slanging match.

In this instance, I don't deny his undoubted talents, but am simply not so keen on the sound he chooses to produce when playing flugel.

7. awesome player, just a bit of a robot in general tho.
    met him in manchester when he last came over. he just sat in his hotel whenever he wasn't performing practising long notes :?

8. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

sounds like a bit of a boc then :)
    awesome player though, i think any of us would love to have a technique like that.

9. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Hear hear!