September 11

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by jpbray, Oct 1, 2004.

1. jpbray

jpbray Member

As anyone else pondered post September 11; I think it has changed things more than people think other than just the political situation. I think a lot of people have reassessed their work life balance and quality of life. To this end I believe that once more people are looking for more social activities whether, it be sport, music, craft style hobbies. Bearing this in mind I think there is some scope for recruitment opportunities for getting people into banding. Any views or am I talking b****cks. :)
  2. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I think it's sad that they've managed to change us but I think on the whole they have (the terrorists I mean).

Western democratic society has been deeply scarred whether we like it or not. You may not have realised it, but we've all changed a bit.
  3. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

There is certainly more awareness, and certainly more fear. For those of us in the US, and particularly those of us who live near one of the targets, it can still be powerfully moving and disturbing and sometimes frightening.

But the impact on the average person here has not been as great as might be supposed. Many of the security measures that have been put in place are no greater than those imposed after the Oklahoma City bombing in the mid-90s, which was a case of domestic terrorism.
  4. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

The only thing Sept 11 has done is made me more cynical.
  5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I think September 11th and its aftermath have made a lot of people more xenophobic, and it has led to a lot of innocent people being unfairly made into objects of suspicion and fear.
  6. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

I've got to agree this seems to have been the main if not the only after-effect of 9/11.
    America (i.e. the administration, not individual Americans who are normal people working for the man just like the rest of us, please, no nit-picking) has learned nothing from what happened, I doubt if they understand anything of how or why it happened.
    Britain (i.e. the administration, not individual Brits who are normal people working for the man just like the rest of us, please, no nit-picking) has played her usual lap-dog role and gone bounding around the world doing as she's told, as has a large part of the Western World.

I was in a motorway service station not long ago with Amy, and a group of about 7/8 young Asian men came in. My first reaction was fear, closely followed by anger at the fear, followed by a desire to get back in my car and sing "The Wheels on The Bus" for the nth time. I hate the people who have made me feel like that, and those people are on both "sides".