Senna - Was he really the greatest?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by StellaJohnson, Aug 2, 2010.

1. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

I'm a behind on my TV viewing at the moment!! (got 2 weeks of corrie to catch up on!!)

Over the weekend watched last weeks top gear about Aryton Senna. So many people think he is the greatest driver ever and dismiss Schumacher even though he won more titles and broke every record going. I know its debatable who thinks is the greatest driver, but in my view he was a cheat and a dirty driver, so why is he loved by so many. People don't like Schumacher and I think some of this especially in the UK is to do with the Damon Hill incident and hes a German.

Senna was just a bad cheat as Schumacher, running Prost off the track to win the championship.

So why is he loved by so many??
  2. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

Senna was nowhere near as bad a cheat as Schumacher - the incident with Alain prost was one of only a couple in his career.

Schumacher cheated, and his partnership with ferrari (who run the FIA by the looks of it) made him more hated. Senna gave a lot of money to underprivileged kids in Brazil too.
  3. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

That's right, almost into the millions I believe.

I truly believe if you could put Senna and Schumacher in identical cars, both at the pinnacle of their career, Senna would drive the wheels off Schumacher. One of the reasons Schumacher won 7 titles is because his car was far superior to anyone else's. Senna didn't have that luxury.

Another point is the spec of the car. Senna's car was far more powerful than the cars Schumacher drove and didnt have any electronic aids. No automatic gearbox, no traction control, nothing. Manual gearbox and a dirty great turbo up you're behind! Add to this the fact that the crashes weren't anywhere near as survivable then. In those days, you had a bad crash you sustained serious injury if you were lucky. This is of course borne out in Senna's sad demise. It may not sound like a deal; but it must have an enormous impact on your mental approach knowing that. A bit like driving an old Volvo for example, you feel a lot safer and are less inclined to worry about a crash than if you're driving a Daewoo Matiz for example.

I'm not saying every car Schumacher drove was full of electronic gadgetry but a fair share of them were. I'm not saying crashing was a pleasant experience but Schumacher is still alive today and in a current Grand Prix there's been some enormous shunts in the past few years and the drivers almost always walk away with very minor injuries or none at all.

Both are/were naturally talented and brilliant drivers but for my money...Senna is still number 1
  4. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Because he died in the line of duty and thereby secured his legend. Schumacher on the other hand is clinical and displays an air of arrogance which may put off the general public but thats the way he is.

In my opinion Schumacher is the best driver ever to take to the track. Yes his ferrari was the best car, but his bennetton perhaps not so and he won two titles with them too.
  5. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

I think Clarkson described it best (in the very same program) when comparing Senna to Gilles Villeneuve. Others were exceptional on several occasions; Senna was exceptional on every occasion. He was, without question, the very best!
  6. StellaJohnson

Schumacher was racing at the same time as Senna (seems ages ago!!) and I think early on Schumacher showed he was a good driver, Schumacher also went to a cr*p team - ferrai were nobody when he came, something I don't feel modern day drivers could do.

We say Schumacher was a cheat arrogant german tw*t but so was Senna and a number of other drivers, it was racing then something you cannot get away with so much now. It was his cheating that was the turning point.

Schumacher has also given a hell of alot to charity, especially tsunami appeal, more than any other footballer sports star put together. To me he comes across as a decent bloke, family orrientated and will do anything to win like Senna and sometimes it backfires. I like that character in someone especially someone who gets paid so much who dosen't really need to.
  7. Paddy Flower

Paddy Flower Active Member

We were watching the same Grand Prix on Sunday right? I'm suprised Rubens didn't go and chin him in the paddock after the race :mad:
  8. Robhibberd29

Agreed...he was fundamental in making Ferrari the team it became...but that wasn't just down to his driving, it was down to his brilliant but ruthless organisational skills. There's no disputing the car was a far superior machine once developed.

Ferrari were hardly a nobody though! It is also the oldest surviving team in Grand Prix racing, having competed since 1948, and statistically the most successful Formula One team in history with a record of 15 drivers' championships. As a constructor, Ferrari has 16 constructors' championships.
    Alberto Ascari, Juan Manuel Fangio, Mike Hawthorn, Phil Hill, John Surtees, Niki Lauda, Jody Scheckter, Michael Schumacher and Kimi Räikkönen have all won drivers world championships driving for the team.

Yes, they both drove at the same time...for 3 years up to Senna's untimely death. They didn't drive when they were both at the top of their game in identical cars though.
  9. StellaJohnson

What could Schumacher do to make him you your no 1 driver of all time?
    After all you can only beat whos competing against you
  10. Robhibberd29

Nothing Stella. He isn't as talented as Senna was. In my opinion :)