Sellers to fold

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Sandy Smith, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Sandy Smith

Sandy Smith Member

This sad news has appeared in the Huddersfield Examniner Tuesday 23rd October 2007.

Sorry about the advert for Nokia - can't get rid of it.

The final movement for top brass band Oct 23 2007

by Neil Atkinson, Huddersfield Daily Examiner

ONE of Huddersfield’s top brass bands is to fold.​

But Sellers International Band hope to go out in a blaze of glory with a huge charity concert next January.
    The band – which was formed in 1986 – will be joined on stage at Huddersfield Town Hall by the Black Dyke Band, probably Britain’s most famous brass band.
    And band sponsor David Armitage hopes it will be a concert which will raise a lot of money for Guide Dogs for the Blind.
    He confirmed last night that the band will not continue after next January.

“Musical director Philip McCann and I have had discussions about the band’s future and we decided that the time was right to wind it up,” said Mr Armitage, chairman of Sellers Engineers.​

“Everything has a shelf life and that, coupled with a number of offers that Philip has been given other than with the band, made it an opportune moment.​

“He founded the band in 1986 and Sellers took over in 1987 so we have had 20 good years.​

“Our decision is that once the band has fulfilled virtually all its obligations between now and January it will end.​

“But it will end in spectacular style with the charity concert at the Town Hall on January 26, with Black Dyke as our guests.​

“There has never been any question that money is the issue. We did take the decision not to enter the Spennymoor competition for financial reasons but finance is not the reason.​

“It will be a sad day come January 26 but at the end of the day I believe it is the right decision.”​

Sellers’ next appearance is at a charity concert in Yeadon on Friday and they will also be appearing at Lepton Parish Church on December 1.​

2. Sandy Smith

Sandy Smith Member

Any news on the youth band ?
    It would be a tragedy for it to fold as well.
    Mark Bousie has done a spectacular job with them.

3. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

I'm gutted.

Very sad news indeed. I spent four very happy years at Sellers in the early nineties.

4. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

I never understand how big bands like that with players can fold? Very sad news that another band as folded.

5. postie

postie Member

The whole thing seems very strange indeed how it has suddenly developed over the last week. Obviously these problems have been more long term and serious than anyone thought. Very sad that this has happened.

6. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Gobsmacked

7. zak

zak Member

This seems very strange and sad to me on hearing another brass band go by the wayside. It seems very strange to me as there appears to be no sign of the band struggling unlike some that have gone by the wayside in previous years.
    Is it likely that the band will continue under another name if the current bunch of players stick together?? Seems like THERE IS A LOT MORE TO THIS THAN IS BEING SAID but I wont speculate... just a sad announcement thats all!!!

How can you say that a succesful band will terminate in January? :confused:

I hope that there is some way the band will keep going!!!:tup

Regards

8. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

It's a black day indeed for banding when a successful and established band takes a decision like this. A real shame, but sadly indicative of the slow steady decline banding is in.

9. a very flat b

a very flat b Member

I hope another sponsor can be brought in. They are simply too good to loose.

As far as I can find out the Youth band under the baton of Mark Bousie will continue.

10. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

If they can fulfill all their engagements until January, then they surely have a nucleus of a good band there. Perhaps it's easier to throw in the towel than do a bit of ground work? Yes, the loss of money is a big blow, but so many bands in the lower sections manage with much smaller overheads. I would suggest that Sellers should try and build up again in the same way others have had to.

I can think of a number of bands that were on the brink of collapse but managed to pull themselves up again, either by merging with another struggling band (like Aveley and Newham) or finding a new sponsor, or even dropping out of contesting for a while (like Todmorden). You don't have to look very far to find a rather famous band that was on the brink of collapse a few years ago when the sponsor (and employer) was closed down, do you? For those who don't know who I mean, they've just won the National :clap:

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    vacancies
    positions
    bands
    players
    Sellers
  12. Lawrencediana

Lawrencediana Member

I think the difficulty here is not the running down of bands but purely a financial decision based on the future of their inspirational conductor. It would seem that his decision to walk away has influenced the continuation of the sponsorship. It is always a problem where the band relies on its sponsor to carry out its objectives, as with Sunlife, Lewington Yamaha, Jones and Crossland to name but a few it is the desire of the band to compete at the highest level which causes the band's demise when sponsorship is withdrawn. So it is no real surprise that the management of Sellers feel there is no alternative but to fold.

13. eanto

eanto Member

The Classic Brass Band Collection by Sellers College Brass.

This was my first purchase of a brass band CD back in Boots the Chemist, Bridgewater circa 1989. They wern't the finished article back then, but they where so musical, very much a sign of things to come.

Shame if the storey ends.

14. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Imps have had their ups and downs (literally) since the Yorkshire Imperial Metals company closed quite a few years ago.
    They merged with Rothwell (Wallace Arnold) Band and then went on to secure sponsorship from David Urquart Travel.
    You've got admire the hard core of players that fought to preserve the heritage of this famous outfit.
    Nobodies saying it's not a mammoth task, and success is by no means guaranteed, but at least they tried.
    Perhaps if Sellers company would "Gift" the band the uniforms, instruments and library, they would have a good chance of saving a very good team of players as a musical entity.
    They deserve a future unlike Kennedy's Swinton Brass who, I understand, decided to fold in the '90's because they couldn't face a drop in their elite Championship status.
    I sincerely hope that the Sellers guys/gals give it a go.
    The very best of luck to them.
    - Wilkie

15. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

And they famously won it in the year of the closure as well.

If this is true - and sadly, it seems fairly conclusive even though we've heard nothing from the band members - I hope they find a way to carry on.

I've never understood the attitude of "if we we can't stay in the top flight, we don't want to carry on" - Point of Ayr, Sun Life, Kennedy's Swinton, CWS Manchester all seemed to take this view and it seems a crying shame to me. Here's hoping that that the fine group of players that played so well at the Grand Shield choose to persevere.

16. zak

zak Member

Sorry but nowhere have I read that the "if we can't stay up" is the attitude at sellers at present. You must know something else that most don't if this is the case unless it's more speculation!

17. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I think Point of Ayr did try.
    Who could forget the Talacar Bay Caravan Park (Point of Ayr Colliery) Band ?"
    Star Bass player - Ronnie the Lizard I believe !!
    - Wilkie

18. Timpking

Timpking Member

This is skocking news! Sellers have so many quality players. Hope they sort it out and don't just let it fold.

19. Dago

Dago Member

Surprising how much power some conductors have!

20. flugtastic

flugtastic Member

im gobsmacked :O

21. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Sorry, you misunderstood me - my post was written in haste and not very clear. I didn't mean to suggest or speculate that this attitude prevails at Sellers, far from it, I was merely commenting on Ian's previous post comparing the demise of Kennedy's Swinton to the current difficulties and hoping that a similar fate does not await Sellers - sorry I didn't make that clear.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2007
  22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    vacancies
    positions
    bands
    players
    Sellers