Sellers Band - what's going on?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by a very flat b, Oct 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. a very flat b

a very flat b Member

I've not seen anyone start a thread about the goings on at Sellers. The following appeared in the Huddersfield Examiner on the 18th October

"A TOP Huddersfield brass band have pulled out of a major contest because of funding issues.
    Sellers International Band have withdrawn from the Brass In Concert Championship, which was to be held next month in Gateshead.
    The band have also parted company with musical director Phillip McCann, one of the most charismatic figures in the band world.
    David Armitage, chairman of band sponsors Sellers International, said the band could not afford to enter the contest on top of other commitments.
    He said: “We pulled out of the contest on financial grounds.
    “The cost of going there on top of what we have spent this year on the British Open and other competitions would be a step too far. You can only do so many and the band have done well, but it isn’t an option at this time.”
    The band are also without a musical director, following the departure of Phillip McCann.
    He has left the band with immediate effect and they are now auditioning conductors to fill his position.
    The band’s next show will be a concert for Aireborough Rotary Charities at Yeadon Town Hall."
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2007
  2. Sandy Smith

Sandy Smith Member

This is in todays Huddersfield Examiner -

Conductor stays on Oct 22 2007

by Katie Campling, Huddersfield Daily Examiner
    TOP Huddersfield brass band Sellers International is to keep its musical director. The Examiner reported on Thursday that Philip McCann (pictured) had left the band, who were searching for a new conductor. However, sponsors Sellers Inter-national have now stated that Mr McCann is to stay with the band. David Armitage, chairman of Sellers International, said the announcement about Mr McCann’s departure was incorrect and had been issued by band members without his authority or approval. He said: “Philip McCann is still musical director of the international band.
  3. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Preventive mod warning to everyone:
    Please keep the discussion in this thread restricted to publically known facts.
    For rumours, gossip and insinuations, we suggest you pay a visit to your local pub...

Thanks ;)

Couldn't agree more, Jan. Rumours and speculation don't help any band out when problems arise.
  5. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

6. a very flat b

a very flat b Member

Sorry if you are refering to me.

David Arnatage has gone public in both the commercial press and so I hope I am within the bounds of 'public domain'.

7. Jan H

No I wasn't referring to anyone in particular. We know from past experiences what can happen to this kind of thread.
    That's why the warning was called "preventive" ;)
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  8. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

I lend my support to the band (all I have heard has been pretty much rumours!) as I know several top-notch people there and I have a lot of respect for Philip. Philip strikes me as too professional to just walk out in the manner he supposedly did, so until I hear an official "official" story I won't let it tarnish my opinion.
  9. critic

critic Member

Its sellers buisness to sort out let them get on with it its a mess aparently.
  10. a very flat b

a very flat b Member

My reason for starting the thread was one of concern.

I have friends in both the senior band and the Youth band at Sellers and I would be upset for everyone in the organisation if the band folded.
    Thankfully if last nights Examiner is correct then this could well have been just a storm in a tea cup.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2007
  11. Toni2

Toni2 Member

Hi All,

Firstly I would like to thank everyone who has nothing but best wishes for the players in the band, I am sure it is much appreciated by everyone.

I have to say I'm disappointed that some comments have got out of hand, adding further insult to injury.

May I suggest that everyone sticks to the facts that are known and that will become known through further press releases?!

In the meantime, I have asked for this thread to be locked upon the request of the band, owing to its speculative nature.
  12. Jan H

I haven't locked the thread yet (pending discussion with the other mods), but I have temporarily removed all replies that inlcuded the word "maybe".
    edit: thread temporarily locked until the band's press release
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  13. Jan H

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.