self employed brass teacher

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by satchmo shaz, Jan 19, 2005.

1. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

Hi guys, I have decided to become a self employed brass tutor working mainly from home. I have sought professional advice regarding tax and NI conts etc. I have also done a bit of marketing e.g. local schools, music shops, registered on some web sites and have also got my own website www.sharonstansfield.co.uk
    Has anyone got any other ideas or tips?

thank you Shaz

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Hi
    NI conts
    Shaz
    music shops
    brass tutor
  3. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Let local schools know. We have more kids wanting to learn than our brass peri can deal with so we have some kids going to a local teacher as well, who contacted the school. I passed on the details to parents, after I checked that they were police checked and knew what they were on about. Good luck.

4. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Ooh just checked out your web site..century is spelt wrong. Sorry to be picky....It looks great though!

5. Bones

Bones Member

Hi,

Check your household insurance for public liability. If any of the little darlings decide to break an arm whilst they are in your house then there is a world of poo awaiting you. Alternatively get the parents to sign a disclaimer before you take them on.

Most instrument insurance carries a PLI these days.

Tax should be pretty light for you Shaz as you spend most of what you earn on Ebay for other instruments. :)

6. Mrs Womble

Mrs Womble Member

I work for Zurich Insurance Commerical Department and your Home Insurance wouldn't include Public Liability. If your running a business from home then you will need to PL on a commercial bases. It's best either to contact a local broker in your home town or I can give you a name of a broker and telephone that we use. just send me a PM if your interested

7. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

Quick update, I am still self employed teaching brass and music theory as well, so I am keeping busy! I also teach in a special school twice a week teaching brass and percussion!
    I have also been able to recruit my pupils to the training band and vice versa!
    I also have some adult pupils who I teach during the day, some work part time or are retired;) :p