Seeking extinct brass band LPs and 78s: the less well known the better

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Alan Peat, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Alan Peat

Alan Peat New Member

Dear all,
    heartened by the emails coming through as a result of my last thread regarding tracing the earliest recording of 'Gresford' (still 1968 but I'm sure there will be an earlier recording?) I'd like members to know that I'm collecting obscure / ''minor" brass band recordings (LPs & 78s and even CDs by small local bands).
    The budget isn't huge and I'm scouting charity shops - picked up an LP by the Biddulph band for 50p today (I live in Biddulph) The band closed in 1997.
    Many of these were short run pressings and generally treasured by family members and then, sadly, often cast aside after a family death. I have absolutely no interest in the monetary value (inquistive rather than acquisitive) BUT have a HUGE interest in the social history value of such recordings.
    If anyone out there has material that is 'taking up room' they no longer want I'd be very glad to know of it. I've also set myself a budget of £40 a month (I shouldn't be in too much trouble for that) so will also buy / collect if possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I remember playing at the Miners Gala in 1972 for the first time and 1979 for the last time (so far)... it was all silver bands in the early 1970s and one heck of a lot of kazoos by the late seventies.
    I just don't want the local heritage to be lost. Any help, however small, (even if only to tell me about a low run LP or 78) will be genuinely appreciated. I currently have a room with over 5000 records in it (all catalogued) and a very understanding / long-suffering wife. I'm hoping to develop this aspect of the recording field more widely!
    Cheers
    Alan Peat
    PS My research into recordings of 'Slaidburn' proving way easier than 'Gresford'
    PPS I'm a huge Jack Macintosh (cornet) fan!

2. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Just has a look at my LPs, which haven't been played for years as I don't have a record player! Only extinct band one I have is Harry Mortimer's all star brass (B.M.C, Fairey & Foden's) album 'Brass on the March' (1966). Only other one I have is a Wingates Temperance band recording, also 1966, which does have Slaidburn on it.

Have a fair few PJBE and Canadian Brass LPs amongst the Jazz and Classical ones. Some are just nonsense I picked up from 2nd hand shops that wouldn't just let me have 1 album, it was 4 for a quid or something like that.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017 at 12:03 PM