Seeking Chas. Colins' Flexibilites

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by WoodenFlugel, Jul 13, 2011.

1. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Hey all,

I'm trying to get hold of a copy of Chas. Colins' Lip Flexibilites after I lent mine to someone who has since disappeared off the face of the earth. Now this is annoying but I thought I'd treat myself to another copy...

and so the saga begins....

After casting around for a bit on t'internet I came across someone selling them on ebay. Apparently he had 30-odd in stock for a reasonable Buy It Now price, so I went for it. After three weeks of waiting I messaged the vendor who told me he didn't have any in stock but would be 'getting some in the next few days'. After waiting another week I told him to stuff it. Negative feedback left and (eventually) refund obtained but now I'm back to square one.

Incidentally - this guy is trading as sheetmusiconline on ebay. Don't trust him - he was advertising stock he didn't have and I only found this out after I had chased him for my order. Not recommended.

So I cast around again, and find the Boosey and Hawkes sheet music site is advertising them. Again I order and immediately get an email (after I've given card details etc) saying they don't have any in stock...

So, I guess I'm asking two things (sorry for the ramble - I'm getting there!). Firstly, does anyone actually have a copy of Charles Colins' Advanced Lip Flexibilities that they can sell to me? I'd prefer new but I'd pay the right price for a lightly used version.

Secondly, why is this book so difficult to get hold of? Is it out of print? I remember when I was a young impressionable teenager, being told by my tutor that this is one of the staples of any brass player's reference books - so surely there is some sort of market for it, but from my experience no-one seems particularly bothered to sell anyone one. Has it gone out of fashion? Is there a 'better' alternative? :confused:

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Chas
    copy of Charles Colins
    right price
    reasonable Buy
    Lip Flexibilites
  3. Keith Stanley James Lever

Keith Stanley James Lever Supporting Member

Charles Colin.

Ian,

Have you tried ::

Charles Colin,
    Music Publishers,
    23, Gregg Court,
    Tappan,
    NY 10983

info@charlescolin.com

KSJ

4. Bones

Bones Member

Try this one....

http://www.juneemerson.co.uk/productDetails.aspx?GUID=e1b13c3a-c748-48ee-ba4d-16346f111d3a

5. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

I could name another company who advertises stock they don't hold - a very well known one with a very large catalogue of music for brass bands, wind bands and much more. Like your man, they keep you waiting for a long time before telling you they can't obtain the music you ordered. The only exception to this is when, after a very long wait, they obtain the music you ordered but refuse to send it to you until you agree to pay a higher price than the advertised one which you initially agreed to pay, because they have discovered that the publisher has put the price up. I believe this is known in the trade as 'getting the customer over a barrel'. Not recommended, indeed.

JM Yelland

6. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

Jazzwise are showing it and they're pretty good - here.
    Give them a call on 0845 3457027 first to check if they have it in stock.

7. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

Phil Parkers...0207 486 8206

8. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member

9. WoodenFlugel

Thanks for the recommendations folks - I'll give a couple of the stores a ring tomorrow afternoon to see if its in stock with them.

I should just correct myself though - the ebay seller's name is sheetmusicmegastore not sheetmusiconline as I suggested in my OP. Sorry if this caused any confusion.

10. Nice Horn!

Nice Horn! Member

11. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

How did you get on ? Did you get a copy ?

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Chas
    copy of Charles Colins
    right price
    reasonable Buy
    Lip Flexibilites
  13. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

And that picture of the woman in the swimming costume (his wife I think) at the front of the book is always guaranteed to stimulate the...lip before playing!!!!

14. WoodenFlugel

Nope - still trying. It seems on-one has it in stock (though I haven't rung Jazzwise yet - on my 'to do' list today) :(

15. WoodenFlugel

Thanks for this recommendation - I must admit that I never considered going to Parker's for sheet music. Anyway I ordered it via their website on Monday evening and it arrived today. No hassle, no fuss, no disappointment, just good service. So much better than the other plebs I've dealt with over this. :tup