Security Issues...........

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by tubafran, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

Ive not ever had a problem getting in here from work (no virus or attempted attacks) but my lap top at home (with the same anti virus) will not let me access the site ! why ?

2. andyp

andyp Active Member

Different versions of the same anti-virus software I guess?

I tried the site via IE8 instead of Firefox, got this error:

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; AskTbFXTV5/5.9.1.14019)
    Timestamp: Tue, 10 May 2011 16:47:08 UTC

Line: 1
    Char: 1
    Code: 0
    URI: http://ads.shoppingads.com/pagead/show_sa_ads.js

Also blocks cookies from www.lylyc.com and api.twitter.com/1/statuses/therealTMP.........etc

Not sure if that's helpful or not!

3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hi Andy - which page on tMP was this taken from please? If you can please, I need the specific page. I can then check the code to see what it is. Ta.

4. andyp

andyp Active Member

Hi John - was on the homepage www.themouthpiece.com. (as it's one mentioned in that Norton report thing)
    Now using an old laptop someone gave me cos the screens smashed (so if it should b0rk, doesn't matter as it needs wiping anyway!), Ie8 on XP SP3, refresh after refresh on the homepage, nothing unusual happening. Get same page error etc as above though.

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  5. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

its still flagging up on my home pc as soon as I come onto tMP.
    Don't know if this helps, but according my Norton info the source address is 129.121.128.110 - same one that was identified a few pages ago.

6. Pauli Walnuts

Pauli Walnuts Moderator Staff Member

My attack at work was on entering the tMp homepage - pretty quick too.

7. andyp

andyp Active Member

I don't think Norton have updated their SafeSearch thingy yet - it's pretty far from instant on updates of sites that are "less popular" (whatever that means, it's pretty vague on definitions).
    If you try 129.121.128.110 (some arabic blog site) in the SafeSearch it also flags as caution, potential download threat.
    Had a google on "drive-by download" last night, pretty complex stuff. Randomness isn't the half of it.

8. It was at approx 10.30 when it happened so definately before John disabled the banner

9. Pauli Walnuts

As a result of the virus infection I suffered earlier this week, I have requested help on how we osiloate the cause of this from a former colleague who is a major player in the anti-virus world. I'll post his comments once i have them.

10. sunshine

sunshine Member

I updated my Norton to Norton 360 earlier today and it bought up the "Norton has blocked an attack on your computer" message again... but this time it identified "searchbowl.org" as being the culprit of the attack. Hopefully this information will be something for the mods to look into.

11. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Active Member

Not had any warnings since the bannera and ads were removed - a bit sad as one of them was my ad !!
    www.pdfbrass.com

12. Pauli Walnuts

I had a drive by virus attack after they were removed.
    In terms of getting infected rather than warned, I don't get infected when I use Chrome - it's only on IE8. (Which restricts my visits on here to when I am at home).
    Unfortunately, my virus expert at IBM is currently away so I have no news to report on that front.

13. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

Just as information, which may or may not be of help, at present I have seen no warnings, or obvious signs of attack on this computer. So why not?
    Perhaps this may be of help, I am using a Windows 7 professional machine, Firefox browser with ABP (AddblockPlus) installed as an add on. ABP may be blocking malware at source by blocking most adverts perhaps?
    The security installed is fully up to date and is Comodo firewall, Avast antivirus, Superantispyware and spywareblaster, all active and running softwares. Not running till called on to scan are Malwarebytes, and Hitman pro.
    I also have the McAfee site advisor, and WOT (Web of Trust) again as add ons to Firefox.
    Nothing is throwing up any warnings of any kind at present.
    Having read back, some have had problems with a virus attack and dealt with it, mainly by being knowledgeable in registry and operating system, for others not so well up, there are a few good computer help forums which have trained malware removers and security experts on the team or staff. I am technical advisor and moderator (for ordinary issues) on some of these help forums. Rather than give a full list, any one thinking they may have need of a forum based security advisor to give help in removal of any such virus or malware, please send me a PM and I can advise further.
    As far as finding the culprit or culprits where these problems are coming from I wish tMP staff and administrators the best of luck and I will say you do seem to be going about it the right way so far.

14. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

A separate post to add there seems to be an odd forum software glitch, when clicking the "Submit Reply button, I get a page saying that "This is a duplicate of your previous post, you will be redirected etc" Or similar wording. This happened when replying to a thread elsewhere, then again when sending the previous post, no doubt it will when I send this one.
    Edit to add, only when using the quick posting system not the full one.

15. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

They will be back Andy...

16. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Did this get resolved? Am curious...

17. phildriscoll

phildriscoll Moderator Staff Member

A friend of mine had her machine trashed by this at the end of May. I sent a couple of PMs to one of the site moderators with as much technical detail as I could glean, but have heard nothing back.

18. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

All I could do was forward that to the site owner. I don't know either if he could use it.
    But he removed some adds from the site, and since then there haven't been any more complaints, so it seems to me that the adds were the cause...

19. phildriscoll

phildriscoll Moderator Staff Member

The trashing of my friend's machine happened after it was announced that the banner ads had been removed. I don't know if further ads have been removed since, but I do know a lot of Windows users who are staying clear of TMP until they hear that the problem has been fixed. As I said in my PM, I'm happy to muck in if some technical expertise is required to sort this out.

20. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

I'm still getting the same warnings on my home laptop as I've been getting all along, so it clearly isn't all resolved and I still daren't risk it from the work pc!