Sectional Rehearsals

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by brasscrest, Feb 11, 2005.

?

Sectional Rehearsals

1. Are useful

98.9%
  2. Are useless

1.1%
  3. What's a sectional rehearsal?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Do you find that sectional rehearsals are useful or not? I'm particularly thinking of "special" rehearsals before a big event, such as a contest, major concert or recording session.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Sectional Rehearsals
    contest
    major concert
    recording session
    big event
  3. lewis

lewis Member

Sectionals can be great but there is always the danger of then over-rehearsing things and getting too pedantic. It can be great for rehearsing all the middle parts without wasting the rest of the bands time, but the fact that you have fewer players means that once you start to worry about little things i.e. tuning you can open up more and more cans of worms (hope that makes sense).

I'm a big big fan of sectionals but they do need to be approached in the correct manner and you need to be able to ignore slight problems just like you would do in a full band rehearsal.

4. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

Sectionals are useful to check balance and tricky parts, but when pieces have a lot of cross sectional passages you should practice them too. I don't think that just sending the horns into one room and the trombones into another, etc. will help. You have to practice according to the music, so you should split off into small groups that have particular phrases, etc.

5. Brassb3ll3nd

Brassb3ll3nd Member

I can't think of a contest that I've been to in recent years where I haven't had sectional rehersals. They give the MD time to sort out individual parts and help the section gel without taking up lots of time in a full band rehersal.

You can invariably hear the difference from a section at the next rehersal after they've had sectional rehersal.

6. bandcampgal

bandcampgal Member

it depends on the piece. for our piece at preston (variations on an enigma) each section of the band had a variation so sectionals were the best way of practicing these without the rest of the band sat there bored out of their minds wishing that certain section would hurry up!

also when thers just us 3 horns (and usually flugel) i dont feel as embarrassed messin up as wen thers a whole band!

7. Syrup

Syrup Member

I think they are a good idea. Too many times some players who can't play their parts will be able to 'hide' amongst the noise and ensemble of a full band, but in sectionals any problems will be more visible and can be identified by the MD and (hopefully) put right.

8. Feefee

Feefee Member

Sectionals are definatly great!

We just had a workshop at our band where the ppl from the seniors came down and helped us in sectionals and the difference afterwards can be great!

9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... totally agree with this! Sectionals at the beginning, middle and late in the rehearsal schedule can identify, remedy and minimise any problems seen during the process, saving time in full rehearsals.

10. HBB

HBB Active Member

I think it really helps the people who can't play their parts...

11. resus

resus New Member

I agree that sectionals are a good idea, you can notice a difference in that section both in terms of playing capability and confidence. Its that confidence that can spread through other sections and help to bring the performance the band is looking for......... still doesn't replace good old home practice though????

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Sectional Rehearsals
    contest
    major concert
    recording session
    big event
  13. pegleg

pegleg Member

Agreed!! Sections are very helpful identifying problem areas which sometimes are covered up by the full band.

14. Steve

Steve Active Member

We took the brave decision that we would only rehearse Comedy Overture for a month before the contest to avoid complacency setting in for some players. Its our first year in the 1st section so it is an extra brave decision but I think its working, Comedy is perfect for this as 80% of the work will be done in sectionals as it is a very detailed score and it a.) gives the people doing sectionals a huge understanding of EVERYTHING in the score and b.) it means the troms and sop dont sit in rehearsals doing nothing for ages!!
    I am all for sectionals if the piece is right, and Comedy certainly is.

15. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Sectionals make you practice.
    If you know you've got a Sectional coming up you'll practice your part because you won't want to look a mug or have your deficiencies exposed.
    So, in the long run, the band benefits all around the stand.
    Must go, got to sort out those bars between 23 and 24 !!
    - Wilky

16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Mind you, I do have a gripe ... having a sectional before full band starts. Unnecessary tiredness could creep in for full band and being exposed (if you were being hammered by the person rehearsing) when the early banders come in!

17. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I love sectionals!!! It's like brass band, but without the cornets :D!!
    ;-)
    Seriously though, there is often alot that needs to be sorted without making the rest of the band wait on one section.

18. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

19. Ginge

Ginge Member

Definately a good thing!
    Not everything can be covered in a full band rehearsal.
    Helps to sort out any little problems any individuals or small groups have.

20. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

I thought sectionals was recovering with a hangover from the night befores booze activities, well thats what it seemed like at NYBBS!!! :oops: :rolleyes:

Seriously I they are good, alot of the conductors time is wasted in band practice on stuff, where an hour or 2 in a sectional will basically cure it and in the end, everybodys the better off from it.

21. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Yup I agree with everything that has been said so far. They are a very useful way of getting a section to play together, sorting the balance, note bashing tricky passages etc etc... Provided you don't over rehearse and start to "find" problems they are a must for 99% of contest pieces.

22. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

I don't mind sectionals as long as I've had a chance to see the piece at home first, otherwise it can be very embarassing!