Section Rules

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by 007ish, May 12, 2006.

1. 007ish

007ish Member

After attending a friends :confused: rehearsal with a view to joining I was presented with the following :eek: :eek: :eek: :confused: :frown: :oops: :confused: :frown: :oops:

Players Manual (chapter entitled Euphoniums)

The following points needs to be brought to your attention:

1) A Euphonium player should not practice during the 'break'. This rule needs to be enforced for three reasons:

a) It stops people talking to each other, and hinders the transfer of 'banding gossip.'

b) It stops the principle being nosey and listening to other people's conversations.

c) It highlights to other people (especially the conductor, never a good thing) parts that the euphoniums may be having difficulty with! This rule applies in particular to semi-quaver runs that are both high and / or technically difficult (otherwise known as hard).

2)When the majority of the section (including baritones) have decided that a particular semi-quaver run is very difficult or impossible, and have therefore decided that 'waggling a value (usually the 2nd)' (see * below)is an acceptable substitute: A Euphonium player MUST NOT practice it in any circumstance, with the aim of playing it properly, and therefore ruining its musicality.

* If the majority of the section feel that another valve is more musically appropriate, then this is acceptable (see + below). However IN NO CIRCUMSTANCES should players be expected to 'waggle' 2 or 3 valves at once.

+ The fourth valve is exempt from rule 2!!!

3) A player must not IN ANY WAY embellish or enhance a piece by putting in flourishes that are not written by the composer.

4) Continual retuning of the 2nd Euphonium by the moving of tuning slides during rehearsals should be avoided. This wrongly implies that the section, and in particular the principal has some music knowledge. This in not an inference that principal would ever wish to convey.

5) If the Euphonium section needs to travel together, as a section, then players should ensure to travel as lightly as possible. There are two reasons for this:

a) The principle drives a small car and therefore has only limited space within his car i.e. no useable backseat if two euphs are brought along.

b) Contrary to popular belief the principle is not a tight-****, but would like to minimise his petrol consumption for the sake of the environment (honest). It also means that the principle has more money for rounds

6) If the principle plays a wrong note, the player directly to his right, must in all circumstances admit responsibility. If this rule causes distress to the 2nd Euphonium player then the situation can be easily resolved by them swapping seats.

The committee reserve the right to update/amend these rules at any time.

Good afternoon

Do other bands have these rule books :confused: :clap:
  2. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

No we don't but we will now - thanks very much for that.

The playing before and after rehearsals by euphoniums has always intrigued me - why is it mainly euphs? The number of times we've been out playing and some random walks up and says "oh I used to play the euphonium - can I show you", they then turn out this fabulous collection of semi-quaver runs and you say OK sit it's a quiet Sunday afternoon and no ones listening anyway - only to discover they are completly incapable of following a beat, holding a tune or having any comprehension of dynamic. Lesson learned - never beleive what itinerant euphonium players tell you.
  3. persins

persins Member

I think this should be immediately adopted as an internation standard. ;) Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Seriously, we have a band charter that is sent round periodically when new players join. Never really seen it vigorously enforced however. It is generally just common sense stuff really about being a representative of the band at all stages of the engagement and therefore having to behave as such.
  4. ComputerBloke

ComputerBloke Member

That's well funny :D
    Frightening, I recognise a good few of those scenarios :eek:
  5. Is this rule referring to the principal euphonium player, or the euphonium player with principles?