Seaside Bandstands & Audiences

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by IYOUNG, Sep 12, 2006.

IYOUNG Member

Hi folks,

Couple of quick general questions if I may,

Which coastal resorts have you found to be the best in terms of audience numbers listening to your performances on the bandstand?

Whcih coastal resorts have the nicest bandstands?

2. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

3. k8 loves to bone

k8 loves to bone New Member

Juast been to Great Yarmouth with band. It has a very small band stand but gets a reasonable crowd because passers by stop and sit on the deck chairs provided for listeners
  4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Eastbourne isn't bad, but I would still go for Pine Walk in Bournemouth: audience down below and walking by the back of the bandstand. Always used to get good crowds, but not sure what it's like these days.
  5. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Apart from the fact that it's in cornwall, its a great atmosphere there on a sunday afternoon and its just, well, lovely!
  6. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

The Ship inn, in parr St. Austell has a scovered satge and throughout the summer months they have entertainment evenings.
    Every sunday and wednesday eveing is band night.
    The two nights we were therewe heard st Dennis band, and Mount Charles Youth.
    both bands were excellent entertainment and the pub garden was packed out with at least a coupl;e of hundred folks on both nights!

sounds like a greatidea for a tmp weekend away actually!!!!
  7. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Padstow isn't a seaside place though! Its a Harbour! Although I have to agree it is lovely... beautiful little shops, yummy real pasties... and the most gorgeous lemon sorbet! :tongue:

My best seaside town concert place has to be Minehead :D its ALWAYS ALWAYS beautifully sunny and we always get HUGE HUGE HUGE amounts of people... because they have a deckchair man! One of the audience even took the infamous brolly round and brought it back full to busting with money!

The Brolly = play singing in the rain and get your MD to dance about with his big brolly..... then wack it in the ground and dance around it... and the old folks love to come up and dance around it and aim their pennies (and occasionally pounds!) at it!

Nice Ice cream in Minehead aswell!

8. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

I took my daughter to Minehead Butlins (agh!!!) for the weekend over the summer and we found the park where the bands play but because of the bizzare times that the bands play the closest we got to the band was wathcing them play crazy golf! Looked a nice place to play though
  9. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Only because you get me helping you. :)
  10. barrowgirl

barrowgirl Member

We played at Filey on Sunday and had a big crowd. All the benches where full and lots of people sat on the grass.
  11. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Llandudno - when my brother Mike was the conductor of the Llandudno town band sunday and mondays during the summer used to be prom nights ( back in the 1950's it used to be 7 nights a week on the prom bands like GUS , Foden's and others used to come down to play) , even now the band get a good couple of hundred listening to the band , sundays were a songs of praise type of thing , loads of audience participation and the monday would be the park cheese fest type concert .
  12. Bungle

Bungle Member

I also enjoy playing at Eastbourne, as it is just down the road to me, but for me I find it a great honour to play at the Deal memorial bandstand . As it is run by volunteers and not a council, they look after you and don't just employ the cheapest bands. There's also good chip shop opposite. Herne Bay is also a nice bandstand as it's in an enclosed area. I hope they get Folkestone bandstand up and running again.

There is a page on Wikipedia on bandstands that people might want to add to.
  13. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

How about the bandstand in Peasholm park Scarborough. I've never played there but when on RNR training back in the 70s the bands who performed there always had big crowds listening. Problem was it was situated in the middle of the lake.......beautiful setting though.....don't know if it is still there
  14. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

There's also a nice link on there with details and photographs of cast iron bandstands througout the UK. Played at the Chesterfield one last Sunday - nice and big, in Queen's Park and if ther weather's good a reasonable audience - there was a cricket match on at the same time - what a perfect Sunday afternoon that must have been - the sound of leather on willow and a brass band in the background.

Newark Castle also has a really good bandstand and they get enormous audiences and so does Wetherby Bandstand - these are both near a river does that count?
  15. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

Thanks everyone so far some excellent suggestions and links that I can look at.

16. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

I'm happy to report that it is still there. Flixton Band played there a couple of months ago. Good weather and a large crowd sitting and listening. It was bizarre to have to be ferried across to the bandstand in boats, and to be sitting there playing with pedaloes going past right in front of the band.

Another nice bandstand is the one at Pavillion Gardens in Buxton. It always has big crowds, provided the weather is good.

TIMBONE Active Member

Yes, Peasholme Park in Scarborough must be unique, sitting on a bandstand in a boating lake, with the audience on terra firma about 20 or 30 metres away. I have heard about Llandudno from one of my ex pupils who plays with the town band. Julie and I were in Skegness last weekend, and there was a lovely banstand in 'something or other' gardens, (Julie will no doubt remind me what it was called). It was really nice, sitting with our seaside 'scran', listening to Market Rasen Band on Saturday and Skegness Silver on Sunday, especially when Skeggy Silver played "Manhattan Spiritual", one of my own publications :clap:
  18. Bungle

Bungle Member

And you can even get married on the bandstand!

PM any bandstand pics and I'll put them on the Wikipedia page for you.
  19. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

Not that unique Tim - Ghevulet Park in Worcester has a band stand in the middle of the lake too.
  20. Janet Watkins

Janet Watkins Member

The bandstand is in the Tower Gardens Skegness.

Whitwell played there this summer. The council staff looked after us extremely well and were genuinely enthusiastic. We attracted a very good crowd.

The bandstand can be seen here

The maroon and gold paintwork matched our uniforms perfectly:D