Searching!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by emziesonic, Apr 29, 2008.

1. emziesonic

emziesonic Member

Hiya,
    does anyone know where you can get the recordings on CD of Variations on a Welsh Theme (Peter Kneale) and Capriccio (Phillip Sparke). Preferably with the soloists being Horn? Can't seem to find any:-?
    Thanks

2. Di

Di Active Member

Owen Farr has recorded Variations on a Welsh theme and it is available from WoB Tunes. There is a Capriccio available on there too if you search, but it is on Soprano, not horn.

3. Rob

Rob Member

Think Sandy Smith did Welsh Themes on the Fairey's 'Double Champions' CD - worth getting for the test piece performances as well. I used to have a tape of Gavin Lindsay doing Capriccio with CWS Glasgow, not sure what the album is called though.... Have never heard of Capriccio being recorded on horn unfortunately!

4. Di

Di Active Member

This is on "The Flower of Scotland", as we've said, for Soprano, can't find a horn one either.

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- you'll find that Craig Bennett (sop.) plays Capriccio on this recording as well! ;)

6. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

it is beginning to look like you will have to hire a studio and record it yourself. :D

7. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Why not ask RT if he can bring the piece out in rehearsal with you playing the Sop part on horn...? Knowing Wem band well, I am sure you could play it. Might even entice me up for a listen and to say hi to you all as it's one of my fav pieces and I loved ducting it when I was ducting... :)

8. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Both these pieces are on Fairey's Double Champions CD, although the Cappricio is on soprano cornet.