Searching for Hymn Tunes

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by lynchie, May 1, 2007.

1. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I'm currently putting together a set for a church service.

Does anyone know of a published arrangement of Great is thy Faithfulness or Thine Be The Glory?

Great in thy Faithfulness is slightly more urgent, as I've found a 5-piece arrangement of TBTG that I could expand if needs be.

Thanks

2. SteveT

SteveT Member

No, but if you want them rattled off it should be no problem!

3. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I'm pretty sure that Great is thy Faithfulness is in the Salvation Army Tune book (the one with 700-odd hymns in). I don't have a copy to hand though to check. There is also a version published as a cornet solo by SP&S.

4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Both tunes are definitely in the SA books; there is also a more extended version of "Thine be the glory" that Ray Steadman-Allen wrote a few years ago which is quite effective.

5. simonbassbone

simonbassbone Member

Or ask your nearest Salvation Army Band if they still have the old "Keep Singing" tune books, sure it had Great Is Thy Faithfulness in it and would probually let you have the lot for a small donation to get them out of the cupboard,

6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Good suggestion, as they have both "Great is Thy faithfulness" (No 19) and "Thine is the glory" (No 81).

7. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

AH this all brings back memories - the lovely yellow books with blue stripes through them.

But for much better fun, you could look for the Songs of Faith books (the blue ones from Canada). They had all the crazy Norman Bearcroft euph parts in them.

Happy days! :p:p

8. barrytone

barrytone Member

Thine be the Glory was arranged by Prof. Wilby in the Black Dyke Hymn book published by Kirklees Music. Great arrangment, has an optional fanfare opening that is very effective. Also included in book is Deep Harmony, As the Deer and Morning has Broken along with Hyfrydol, wonderful hymns and excellent arrangements.

9. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Certainly very effective in terms of confusing the hell out of the congregation such that they have no idea when/what to sing ...

I don't imagine that Dr. Wilby envisaged the use of those arrangements to accompany congregational singing. At least not in the context of a routine church service, as opposed to a "Songs of Praise" broadcast, which is somewhat staged/rehearsed.

Last edited: May 2, 2007
  10. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I'm sure I've heard the words to "thine be the glory" sung to a bit of Judas Maccabeus once or twice...

That said, my former local church tended to put allsorts of music with hymn-fashion words to it to brighten things up.

A favourite amongst the youngsters is one called "Why don't you give your heart to jesus" which is to the match of the day theme!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Thine Be The Glory
    Great is thy Faithfulness
    Hymn Tunes
    Faithfulness
    published arrangement of Great
  12. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

thats very impressive but can you name No 28 ?

I bet simonbassbone can :)

13. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Yes, Judas Maccabeus is the most common tune to sing this hymn to. The tune also appears in Willcocks march, The Champions! ;)

14. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

"The Lord sought me out".

Sorry simonbassbone!

Ok I admit I cheated and looked it up. :oops: Can't say I ever remember singing/playing it though...

15. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

It was our (simonbassbone and me) Dad's finest achievement !

A very jolly tune, I think it won a competition in one the the S.A. papers and the prize was to be published in the 'New' Songbook.

16. MaxPressure

MaxPressure Member

never knew you had a religious streak steve..... you keep it well hidden

17. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Good March!

I suppose if that's the most common tune, you could (In an emergency) break out fantasia on british sea songs and pencil a 'fine' bar and a repeat in!!

18. alanl58

alanl58 Member

I know this is an old thread, but I am also looking for a brass arrangement of "Great is Thy Faithfulness", and I do not have access to the Blue Salvation Army hymn books - not that I can see it in the database index that I have on file.

So did the original poster find the music?

If so is it an easy download and print?

If not, is there anywhere else that might have a brass arrangement? Or can anyone rattle one off before Monday's rehearsal?!!!

Help needed!

alanl58

19. davidsait

davidsait Member