Screws... A Random Query.

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Dyddgu, May 12, 2004.

1. Dyddgu

Dyddgu Member

Hello,
    Have a very odd query for the site :oops: ... my Best Beloved has just got himself a lovely old (1897) Besson Prototype cornet, which is nicely fixed up now. Only thing missing is a screw for the lyre-holding bit. Don't want to go ruining it by putting in a nasty screw from the toolbox - is there anyone out there who can help??
    Thanks in advance to anyone with any ideas! :lol:
    B

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    cornet
    query
    bit
    Besson Prototype
    anyone
  3. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

I'm pretty sure you can get plated screws at any DIY store - a chrome finish one should be okay.

4. Dyddgu

Dyddgu Member

ooo - thanks very much! :lol:
    we'll check that out, thank you :)
    B

5. craigyboy1

craigyboy1 Member

Your problem will be finding a screw with the correct thread type (also known as thread form). There are many different types: metric, imperial, and BA to name but a few.
    You could try one in from a modern instrument to check it is the correct size and type but don't force it. If you find one that fits a good engineer will turn you down a copy for a couple of quid.
    Don't force any screw that looks right in though as you will damage the thread on the instrument.

Hope this helps :)

I think I've just become a BOC. :shock:

6. Or of course you could try an instrument repairer........surely they can't charge you much just for a screw.

I have found MIR in Halesowen very helpful.

7. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Isn't that illegal!!!

8. ...........how do you just know that someone will always take the bait........

9. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

Hook...lyre.....and sinker.

10. Dyddgu

Dyddgu Member

*steps gingerly over the double entendres" ;)

Thanks for the helps - we'll try these suggestions, though instrument has already been to fantastic instrument menders, and no screw was forthcoming... :)