Screws... A Random Query.

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Dyddgu, May 12, 2004.

1. Dyddgu

Dyddgu Member

Have a very odd query for the site :oops: ... my Best Beloved has just got himself a lovely old (1897) Besson Prototype cornet, which is nicely fixed up now. Only thing missing is a screw for the lyre-holding bit. Don't want to go ruining it by putting in a nasty screw from the toolbox - is there anyone out there who can help??
    Thanks in advance to anyone with any ideas! :lol:
  2. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

I'm pretty sure you can get plated screws at any DIY store - a chrome finish one should be okay.
  3. Dyddgu

Dyddgu Member

ooo - thanks very much! :lol:
    we'll check that out, thank you :)
  4. craigyboy1

craigyboy1 Member

Your problem will be finding a screw with the correct thread type (also known as thread form). There are many different types: metric, imperial, and BA to name but a few.
    You could try one in from a modern instrument to check it is the correct size and type but don't force it. If you find one that fits a good engineer will turn you down a copy for a couple of quid.
    Don't force any screw that looks right in though as you will damage the thread on the instrument.

Hope this helps :)

I think I've just become a BOC. :shock:
  5. Or of course you could try an instrument repairer........surely they can't charge you much just for a screw.

I have found MIR in Halesowen very helpful.
  6. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Isn't that illegal!!!

7. do you just know that someone will always take the bait........
  8. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

Hook...lyre.....and sinker.
  9. Dyddgu

Dyddgu Member

*steps gingerly over the double entendres" ;)

Thanks for the helps - we'll try these suggestions, though instrument has already been to fantastic instrument menders, and no screw was forthcoming... :)