Screwed Computer User - Someone Help!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by lynchie, Sep 15, 2004.

1. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Right, I've just connected up my laptop to the internet for the first time in ages, using AOL (don't sneer, it was the first free CD I found!!) anyway, I keep getting these weird pop up messages saying my computer is infected with something and I should go to some website. Now there's no way I'm going to that website to get infested with more stuff, but how the hell can I get rid of this first virus? I'm running Norton on it now, and downloading all the latest Windows updates (it's been over a year!) but has anyone ever heard of this? And do you know a quick way of getting rid of it?

And anyone who just wants to mock me for getting in this situation in the first place... I couldn't feel any worse right now, so take your cheapest shot!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Someone
    Computer User
    CD
    way
    anyone
  3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Where's it asking you to visit Lynchie...?

You might want to download and install the following applications;

Adaware - free spyware remover..

Spybot Search and Destory - another very good spyware killer

HijackThis - removes unwanted trojans, scripts and stuff

Let us know if you need more help after you have downloaded and ran each of these items.

4. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Thanks John, I'll give it a shot once everything's updated... the sites it's trying to get me to go to are things like www.updatenow.org and www.windowupdate.net (please, no one click on those 2!!) but it seems to change on every one... they seem like the standard "Sounds a bit proffessional but not quite right" sort of addresses I'd expect which is why it alerted me... at first I thought it might be a feature of AOL, but managed to stop myself before going to the website!

Cheers for the links, I'll let you know!!

5. TheMusicMan

NP Chris, but am off to bed in a mo as I have an early meeting in the morning... I'll catch up with your progress tomorrow...

6. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

ahem... I'm sure you meant Paul, and I'll let you off since you're helping me out ;)

7. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Sorted! (I think) Seems to be a common problem with AOL because I found about 5 or 6 other people with the same thing when I checked out an AOL forum thingy. Apparently it was all just a messenger thingy I could disable in the control panel... all sorted now!

Thanks for all the links anyway John, some of this software could turn out very useful when I'm sharing a network with a few thousand other students...

8. TheMusicMan

Glad to read that you're sorted Chris... Yeah, I use those programmes regularly as you'd be surprised what stuff gets loaded onto your PC that you don't know about. Adaware from lavasoft is especially good.

AOL though.... beurgh..... AO(Hell) more like... :)

9. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

If I might be so bold, I can reccommend a program called spysweeper which helps eliminate all sorts of nasty pop-uppy things and stops sites dropping adverts on your machine. You can try it for free. It also stops programs from interfering with your favourites and re-directing you without your knowledge or consent.

http://www.webroot.com

10. TheMusicMan

Hmmm.. me thinks I might put a collection of useful links re spyware, trojans, malicious script removers etc in the tMP library section for eveyone to use...

11. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Excellent idea John. I see it is now working. :)

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Someone
    Computer User
    CD
    way
    anyone