Scratch Bands at Whit Frday (Merged threads)

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by 08cbinns, Apr 5, 2008.

?

Should Scratch Bands be allowed to compete at Whit Friday

Poll closed Jul 13, 2008.
  1. Definitely Yes

78.6%
  2. Absolutely No

6.1%
  3. Hmmm, Undecided!

8.2%
  4. Don't care

7.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. 08cbinns

08cbinns Member

There are many people who think that 'scratch band' should not be allowed to compete at Whit Friday i.e Chav Brass & tMP Band
    On the other hand there are many people who think they should.
    Tell us what you think, should or shouldn't they be allowed and why.

Myself I couldn't care less about them.

2. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

I think it is a good idea. They have to enter the open section so they are not disadvantaging any lower section bands.

3. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

There is this debate every year (Usually after from the bands that make a serious effort at getting some prizes but can't make all 6 contests to qualify for Overall Rankings because the queues are too long or the Police have told the organisers to stop allowing bands in)

The question is this, do you want Whit Friday to struggle with just competing bands? And struggle it would because the amount of scratch bands is what is getting higher every year. Or do you want it to continue to thrive?

4. There's nothing wrong with what happens at whit friday and the bands that attend, its a massive success every year. No need for any change or rule - so I disagree

5. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Although I havnt been to this event before, I fully understand why people dont agree with scratch bands taking part. But this adds to the atmosphere on the day, and part of the tradition of The Whit Friday Marches. I agree they should stay.

6. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Poll now added

:tup

7. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Its not the scratch bands that upset most people - these bands are often very entertaining and superb musicians. What upsets most people is the dubious tactics that some bands and contest controllers employ to avoid fair queueing.

8. catherine_S

catherine_S Member

One of the great things about the Whit-Friday contests is the huge range of bands! From youth and fourth section to the "big boys" of the Championship section and also the overseas bands and the scratch bands they are open to the whole movement/hobby/whatever!

For those of us whose bands, for whatever reason cannot make it, scratch bands give another way of being involved, and it's great!

A few years ago I played with a scratch band ("SLOB" - South London and Overseas Brass!) which was basically a collection of players from two British (one London, one Yorkshire!) and one Swiss bands whose bands could not manage to put together a full band to go. We met for the first time at Birch services and after a few cultural adjustments, had a wonderful time.

For me, a moment I shall never forget was standing ready to go off at Delph, when the Swiss player next to me mopped his eyes and whispered "This really is the heart of banding isn't it?" Yes, it is, and it would be a crying shame to lose it!

Mind you, after seven years of depping and playing for scratch bands at the Whits, this year at last we've managed to persuade our band to go! Yeay!!

9. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

mebbe change the poll to 'should we allow certain "top" bands to queue-jump at whit friday'

scratch bands are awesome for the whits, i plan to bring/join one for whenever the band i'm playing in don't go!

10. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Why not play with us this year Aidan...? we'd love to have you along... and we'd pick an easy piece for you too... :):):)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Whit Friday
    Chav Brass
    Whit Frday
    tMP Band
    Whit Friday i
  12. Mephi

Mephi Member

Have to admit I'm undecided on the subject. There are so many pros and cons. Some scratch bands take the contesting seriously and are welcomed into the fold by other competing bands. On the other hand some treat it as a 'jolly' and just **** about - this is where they are targeted as timewasters by the bands that are on a mission to either simply get as many contests in or more importantly pick up some prizes. People argue that the big boys don't need the money - most do, to continue operating at that level. The smaller bands can feel frustrated as well because they might want to get round say seven contests that have section prizes.

They are a great way of getting out on Whit Friday if your band isn't taking part, any banders worth their salt won't want to miss it!! Several are made up of fine players (just look at the Navigation Band, a band I'm proud to say I've played for in the past - probably the best and longest running scratch outfit) and are great to listen to. The argument that some are good players but turned the event into a bit of a circus over the past few years is valid to a point but look at Action Research Youth at Blackpool - hardly any 'normal' uniforms in sight!

It is a tough poser this one but one that will never be resolved. They're going to be around for years to come and judging by some announcements already this year, in greater number.

PS
    It seems BigHorn wants to re-open his bitter can of worms from last year and we're still six weeks away!! I have a good idea where his finger is pointing but I'm not going to bite on this one because it would spoil my lovely sunday - I'll sit back and have a chuckle!!:biggrin:

13. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

Obviously I would but I'm doubtful you would be able to afford the costs of hiring a professional solo tenor horn player to dep for me at Leyland.
    If our multi-millionaire sponsor and secret financial backing council of russian and taiwanese businessmen put up a bursery award to pay for a professional dep, then I may consider tagging along, would only require a 4star or above hotel for the week before and full MU sessional rates.
    cheers,

:p

14. SuperCat

SuperCat Member

I'm undecided, it can be annoying that the proper bands are held up by them when they are just out for a laugh and to get drunk, but on the flip side they can be very entertaining too. My sister's favourite band through Delph last year was the RNCM band in fancy dress, she thought they were brill.

15. leisa

leisa Active Member

I think scratch bands are a good idea, i dont think they have anything to do with holding up contests because if they werent there another band would only be there in their place. They are entertaining to crowds as well.

16. flugeldude666

flugeldude666 Member

does it really matter? music is music init

17. leisa

leisa Active Member

and they looked fab from what ive seen of Em's pictures!

18. DobX Dave

DobX Dave Member

I have no problem with 'scratch bands', but I wish that they would wear some kind of uniform, cut out the fancy dress and play regular/published street marches and march at the proper speed, no slow marching and 'fancy marching' ~ eg: two paces forward and one back'. As soon as they start 'mucking about' either musically or marching they should be disqualified.

Another suggestion is that every band that participates in the morning parades should be able to 'jump the waiting queues' ~ that should open up some interesting comments !!

19. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

Whit Friday isn't a serious contest. It's only a laugh, they should definetly stay.

20. Al

Al Member

The Tradition of Whit Friday Marches

Edit: thread merged with one on the same subject from earlier this month! (dyl)

I've been looking on www.youtube.com and there are loads of great videos from various Whit Friday marches.

There seem to be one or two gimmick bands such as Pirate Brass and Chav Brass. Musically they are very good of course and are certainly having fun. I was wondering if this introduction from the traditional is happily accepted by the organisers and followers of the Whits? There is also more non-traditional march music being played.

I noted someone commented on one of the videos that one band even had an accordian player marching with them. I can see there is a sort of 'thin end of the wedge' situation here that the sacred ground of the traditional bands playing the Whit Marches could start to lose its true meaning. Perhaps such things are great for the various carnivals and other such marches in the area.

Should the Whit Marches stay with tradition or should they go with the flow and be more a free for all fun party?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2008
  21. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I definitely think the road march should be left to the discretion of the band marching as to whether they stick with the traditional march or a novelty item. I don't think this detracts from the Whit Friday experience, and in fact enhances it.

The conest march however should always remain ust that, a traditional contest march.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Whit Friday
    Chav Brass
    Whit Frday
    tMP Band
    Whit Friday i