Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Bryan_sop, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Anyone else a bit miffed that Scrabulous has been taken off of Facebook?!

I'm trying to get along with the official Scrabble but it's Sooooo slow! Plus, I can't play any games with the Americans/Canadians that I've played with and chatted with on Scrabulous

2. leisa

leisa Active Member

Yeah man!! it sucks that scrable complained about it
  3. Sop_Or_Bass?

Sop_Or_Bass? Member

Equally miffed - plenty of other apps on Facebook though (until they get removed!) Anyone for a game of Pathwords?
  4. leisa

leisa Active Member

io like a bit of bowling buddies at the mo although i am terrible at it!!
  5. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Not that terrible :oops::oops:

I prefer scamble myself
  6. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Bryan, mate. Spend less time on the internet and finish sorting our library! It only goes as far as W.:biggrin:
  7. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

It wouldn't have been taken off if it hadn't been illegally infringing copyright and trademarks.

The authors and designers are fortunate that Mattel is not pressing charges - this could have been a criminal case under US law.

Just because something is popular doesn't mean that the copyright owners should have their rights trampled upon.
  8. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Hasbro/Mattel have been very short-sighted about this, though. The Scrabulous craze has resulted in an upswing of sales for them, and a great increase in the popularity of their product. Now many who did play Scrabulous feel real ill-will towards them, which will surely dent their future sales.
  9. leisa

leisa Active Member

haaha yes cos i whooped your ****
  10. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

They actually showed restraint by not pressing criminal charges. The biggest issue was not copyright, but trademark infringement (the design of the board is trademarked, not copyrighted, and Scrabulous was using the board design). Trademarks must be vigorously defended or the owner risks losing the mark. They really had no choice but to sue to protect their trademark interests.

The Scrabulous authors will be back. They're designing a version that uses a different board layout, slightly different rules, and circular tiles rather than square ones, all of which is designed to make the game distinguishable from the copyrighted/trademarked game.
  11. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

I think it's a great pity that Hasbro/Mattel couldn't have worked together with the Scrabulous authors to find a solution where Scrabulous could have stayed as it was.
  12. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Perhaps by issuing a licence to use their logos, intellectual property etc? Yes, I agree the copyright owners have every right to defend what they see as theirs, but they have come out of this looking like the bad guys.
  13. jenzi

jenzi Member

Try Wordscraper. It's pretty much the same as Scrabulous and is made by the same people.