Scottish Sop player from nineties - returns to banding....in New Zealand

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by BigJamie, May 18, 2018.

1. BigJamie

BigJamie New Member

Well it's Friday night here in New Zealand and I've consumed the obligatory amount of alcohol to stop me from being a threat to the local sheep. I used to play soprano cornet in Scotland for a few bands - Paisley Silver Band, South Side Brass, Riverside Brass, Barrhead Burgh Band and Dalmelington. Went to London in 1999 and played with First City, Hanwell and Regent Brass. After that took a 15 year break to raise kids. Just returned to banding in the New Zealand D Grade. Starting to practice seriously and returning to a bit of form. Hope to perform well in the NZ national solo champs in July but I know there will be some class players so I don't expect to place. Gidday from down under.

Jack E likes this.
  2. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

Welcome back to the clan, Jamie!

BigJamie likes this.
  3. BigJamie

BigJamie New Member

Surprised myself. I did place. I got third in a field of 11 containing some top class players. Not bad for 4 months practice on a 30 year old soprano cornet. Might keep this lark up.

Jack E likes this.
  4. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

I think the appropriate phrase is "Good on yer, mate!" :) It's like riding a bike; you might get a bit rusty, but you don't forget how to do it!

BigJamie likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice