scottish open

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by ringa, Jun 2, 2012.

1. ringa

ringa Member

well the rumours have started re 2013 areas (hope it is Harmony Music) ........... but what's it to be for the Scottish Open 2012:-?
  2. trombone-john

trombone-john Member

As far as I'm aware, it's own choice this year.
  3. ringa

ringa Member

how's that? it's been set test piece last 2 years. Is it own choice every 3?
  4. JTKBrass

JTKBrass Member

Yes it's a cycle of new commission, set testpiece and own choice. Definitely own choice this year.
  5. ringa

ringa Member

any updates as to whether its set piece or own choice?
    see the rumours were right about the Areas
  6. kennywenny

kennywenny Member

Own choice for the Scottish open ;-)
  7. tojo

tojo Member

all quiet on here , is the comp. still on , nothing on 4 br either ??????????
  8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

It's going to be a great weekend. Some fantastic choices of test pieces by bands tomorrow.
  9. weuphl

weuphl Member

I hope so, been knocking my pan in all week at rehearsals - all strangely quiet!
  10. ringa

ringa Member

11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

12. Uncle Bryn

Uncle Bryn Member

The reason it's a bit quiet on here is that the contest is a bit of done deal. With the greatest respect to some of the English bands, they're just not in the same class as Funeralcare. Just a pity Tong and Whitburn have chosen not to attend.
  13. weuphl

weuphl Member

Whoop, whoop ......

Scottish Open

Perth Concert Hall,
    Mill Street, Perth

Draw: Pre-drawn

Own Choice Competition

Adjudicators: Tom Brevik, Ray Farr & Steven Mead

1. Co-operative Funeralcare, Dr. Nicholas Childs
    2. Tertnes, Gary Peterson
    3. Marsden Silver, Glyn Williams
    4. EYMS, Alan Morrison
    5. Kirkintilloch, Phillip McCann
    6. Yorkshire Imperial Urquhart Travel, David Nesbit
    7. Milnrow, Mareika Gray
    8. Felling, Stephen Malcolm
    9. Northop Silver, Thomas Wyss
    10. Dalmellington, Archie Hutchison
    11. Kingdom Brass, Bede Williams
    12. Regent Brass, Alan Duguid
    13. Blackburn & Darwen, Nick Shephard
    14. Pemberton Old Wigan DW, Mark Bentham
    15. Kirkintilloch Kelvin Brass, Charles Keenan
    16. Lochgelly, Bryan Allan
    17. Bo'ness & Carriden, Paul Drury
    18. Fishburn, Huw Thomas

4BR Best Instrumentalist: Solo Euphonium - Kirkintilloch
  14. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

That would have added a certain amount of rise, with the speculation at the end of the day.
  15. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

So looking at the results shows the massive flaw in this form of adjudication, much like when it was used at the masters. The co-op were placed 2,2,2 by the judges, so not one of them thought they should have won, yet they get a first because there was so much difference in the rest of the placings.

I've no idea whether they should have won or not, if i was to predict prior to the competition I'd have put them 1st, so it's no surprise to see them there, but just shows up a flaw in this form off adjudication.
  16. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Imps got two 3rds and a 16th from Mr Mead. That bad result certainly ruined their end position.

~ Mr Wilx
  17. Statto

Statto Member

But is it any more flawed than having three in a box with one of them an overbearing character? I'm not suggesting that this is always the case but had the three been in the box yesterday then Coop would not have won and instead one of three bands would have won instead, depending on who had the strongest voice!

It's brave of the adjudicators to submit themselves to this system but actually, none of them are wrong. Each of them is entitled to what is sometimes a quite different opinion. What can be more wrong is a system that does not reveal (to the audience) quite differing views. How many times have we heard the speech "we were all in complete agreement with the placings today"?!!

Full results available here
  18. Pav

Pav Member

Or the flaw in any adjudication system.

It's just bandin. More often than not you get what you deserve, sometimes not. When you see a 3/3/14 you assume the third guy got it wrong. But who's to say what's wrong?
  19. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

After Imps 3/3/16 I don't think Mr Mead will be on their Christmas Card list !

~ Mr Wilx
  20. Pav

Pav Member

Wouldn't imagine so, but he knows a little bit about bands and he REALLY didn't like something.