Scottish Open - Help fill the gaps

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Borfeo, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Borfeo

Borfeo Member

I'm all rather hungover and weary today, mainly due to an over excess of drinking, and sleeping in the back seat of an Audi down Buchanan Street station last night. Many thanks to the host Andy Shaw, who's been attempting to remove the gear stick from his person all day (tragedies of getting the front seat to sleep on)

So, how did everybody find the Scottish Open then? Great facilities? Great social event? Well run? Great night out afterwards? I need opinions, coz I can't remember half of what went on yesterday.
  2. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

That was the problem for us....
    Great night yes... but when you're drawn number one, come off stage at 10 o'clock and head for the bar only to find it shut... so we walk halfway around glasgow.. eventually find a couple of bars that are open, but.. (and this is the best bit) they dont serve alcohol until half 12 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Whats occuring here!?! I thought the scottish were good drinkers... :shock:
    Generally well run though, apart from that planning oversight. Poor audience though, and some interpreters on the registration desk may be handy!!!
  3. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

Those guys on the registration desk were rude and obstructive.
    I attempted to explain that I didn't understand their "morse code" instructions, but my pleas fell on deaf(/ignorant) ears.
    The way in which the bands were moved around the venue was simple and effective. At no point were we hurried and it makes such a difference.
    The stage hands were helpful to the extreme and we were an awkward band to please - wanting all the perc gear on opposite sides of the stage. :roll: But it was done without question and in no time at all. Thanks!
    Beer poor, prices poor, footy score poor. (Damned Abramovich and his many pennies :x :evil: :x )
    Great contest, fine hall, well organised.
    Excellent weekend. :)
  4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Maybe the answer to that was at least in part in your hands :?: :wink: :lol:
  5. JTKBrass

JTKBrass Member

I agree about the audience, I did think it would be a lot better than that .. hopefully it's just a case of it being the first contest, and word of mouth will bring more people there for next years event.

Plus points were many .. great venue, well organised, good bands and not too bad a testpiece !

I don't know what the problem with beer was, all the Scottish bands had a crate delivered to their changing room, courtesy of SBBA, as soon as they came off stage .. didn't the English/Welsh bands have the same ?
  6. Buchanan

Buchanan New Member

Like all other comments I thought the venue was excellent and was disappointed by the lack of audience. Perhaps the sectionalised pre-draw was a contributory factor. Normally at contests we're all there for the draw and if you get a later draw what do you do....just go in and hear a few bands. On Sunday the bands turned up at the hall at their allotted time just before playing which gave little opportunity to go in and listen. Having said all that I did like the idea of the pre-draw, just don't know how to fill the empty seats. Maybe holding the contest on a Saturday would help.

In Scotland Sunday drinking laws forbid the sale of alcohol before 12:30pm which normally isn't a problem (unless you had an early draw) as the evening hours are much more relaxed than down south.

Jim Buchanan
  7. wewizrobbed

wewizrobbed Member

How did Andy Shaw end up there?! I'm sure I was sitting next to him in the classy canton express!!? :shock:

I'm pretty confused.
  8. Borfeo

Borfeo Member

Aye, we ended up at the Canton Express talking to Graham Fraser and Mike Howley, but then my mind goes a bit blurry, and next thing I know me and Andy are the only ones left in the place and can't find anywhere to crash. So the car was the next best option. Wasn't bad though, well.......not bad as far as dossing goes anyway.

Felt a bit rough yesterday though, it's a bad state of affairs when you wake up, and have to walk to Buchanan Street station to get a wash :oops:

You have a good night then?
  9. wewizrobbed

wewizrobbed Member

yeah, wasn't so bad! Although I have ended up with THE most huge walking out jacket in the world, had to walk from hill street to the train with it on..and my co-op tie...looking lovely n fresh...carrying a baritone. Don't think I've ever been so mortified in ma puff.
  10. Normans

Normans New Member

You did look a bit rough. The 40 mile round trip for petrol didn't help though. Andy Shaw must be the only person I know who could drive (with the petrol light already on :oops: ) from the Concert Hall to Lenzie looking for a petrol station, and then make a wrong turn at the M8 and end up back at the Concert Hall, whilst trying to get to Whitburn. :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Look out Dublin, you don't know what's about to hit you :!:
  11. Borfeo

Borfeo Member

You're right Alan, I think every bandsman in Scotland will end up in Dublin at some point in the next year now :shock:

Had to laugh when we ended up back at the concert hall, the only thing that would have made that better would've been a petrol station coming into view just as we hit Buchanan Street again. Still, it was a good laugh, although work wasn't much fun at all on Monday.
  12. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

eh eh?
    what should I be looking out for?
  13. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

jocks and estranged drinking times on sundays ;)
  14. Normans

Normans New Member

Andy Shaw, bass trombonist extraordinaire :!: and well-known bevy boy is relocating to Dublin in January. He played for many years with Whitburn but I found out about his drinking talents when he toured OZ/NZ in 1993 with CWS Glasgow. Sydney has never recovered. :shock: ( That's Sydney the City.... not Devine the Singer, :lol: :lol: )

Keppler,I will encourage him to log on before he leaves and you can arrange to meet him in Dublin, but be warned, take plenty of Euros and Alka Seltzer!!! :guiness
  15. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Hahahahaha good one!!!!!