Scottish Open 2007 - Perth Concert Hall

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by johnmartin, Nov 5, 2007.

1. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Can all competing bands please read the notice posted on the SBBA website

Had the tour of the hall facilities yesterday and this one is going to be a cracker. The hall is absolutely first class. The main foyer of the concert hall is open plan with a large bar so the atmosphere will be just great.
  2. Yes it should be a really good event. The hall itself is really nice to play in - although maybe not the easiest acoustic in the world!
  3. bbg

bbg Member

Looking forward to this one - Perthshire have played in the Concert Hall at two concerts plus a small band at a joint churches Easter service, and can confirm that it's a great venue to play in.
    Don't know what the arrangements are for coach drop-off etc, but if travelling by car there is a large multi-storey car park virtually adjacent to the Hall. As John from Lochgelly says, the foyer/bar/cafe area is excellent (bar prices I understand are not too bad - certainly not Harrogate level!) and should any non-banding wives / families come along for the trip, the main shopping area is barely a minute's walk away.
    Nothing on the SBBA site yet re timings / draw - anyone any info?
  4. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

You'll not get the draws published. They have been made though for all contests except the Open itself. I'll pm you with your draw.
  5. Obviously the draws themselves can't be published but I know the Shield is on first thing on Saturday morning, starting at 9.00am, followed by the Cup starting at 12.00. God knows how late the Open itself is going to go on given that it probably won't start til at least 3.00pm!!
  6. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

John, am I missing something here.....every time I've tried to get to the sbba website I get a forbidden error message?

Back on topic, I've been lucky enough to hear a preview of Pete Meechan's new piece and it's going to be an interesting challenge. :D
  7. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Everything working fine here. Try clearing out the cache and deleting cookies. Test with a diferent browser.

MacBeth had been christened MacPrague up here after the first few bands tried it out. However, now they've had it on the stand for a few weeks I'm hearing much more positive comments. personally I can't wait to hear it. I hope all our visitors from England enjoy themselves in Perth. Its quite different from Glasgow but, in my view, a great place to hold a contest.
  8. KMJ Recordings

Already done that ;)

It's the usual story that it's a bit different than things that people are used to....and, funnily enough, usually whinge about having to play.

Embrace the change - it's refreshing ;)
  9. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

I would agree with both posters above. I had only heard negative comments about the piece but had my first hearing of it a couple of weeks ago when i took one of the competing bands for a few rehearsals. I'm really pretty taken with the piece and think it represents a significant challenge to competing bands. Any band that underestimates its difficulty will be in for a rude awakening!
  10. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

PS - as for Perth Concert Hall, only ever had a meal there but that was nice!!! :cool::cool::cool:
  11. KMJ Recordings

The thing I found when I commissioned a piece of Pete was that the end product doesn't sound anything like it looks on a page (or that's my total ineptitude at score reading shining through ;) )....and it's very easy to judge a piece by it's dots...there should be a challenge in a test piece, whether it be modern or yellow and crinkly - and this will prove (IMO at least) to be one of them.
  12. bbg

bbg Member

John - thanks for the pm! Much appreciated. Interesting comment from Jack re the running order - I was assuming Cup / Shield / Open but Cup will be "second slot"? Mind you, this being a local gig for us means that we have thr luxury of not being tied to coach drivers' hours etc for a change.

13. Totally agree with Paul, this piece isn't easy.
    We are looking forward to our first visit to the Scottish Open and the fine hospitality of my home land...
  14. bbg

bbg Member

Went to load my predictions for the Scottish Open weekend - to find that Perthshire Youth Brass are not listed in the development section for the Sunday! Our youngsters are working very hard, even having an "away weekend" just like the senior band have before the Scottish each March, and their conductor assures me that they are playing and have been advised of their draw...can we have 'em "loaded", please?? Thanks in anticipation.
  15. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Campbeltown Brass Juniors arent going this year, too much of a nightmare with the format of all the contests over 2 days. We would have to take 2 buses on seperate days, plus travel and getting 2 nights accomodation for each band etc etc. It'll take us a good 6 six hours to get there as it is!!

Thats why we entered them in Brass in Park earlier in the year. Was a difficult decision to make dropping Scottish Youth as we'd have liked to enter the kids in it again.

So not a positive move to Perth and having it over 2 days from my point of view, at least in Glasgow we cud just do it with a day trip.

But looking forward to playing in the hall in the Challenge Cup mind you, went to the Black Dyke concert last year and looked a great hall to play in!
  16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Any idea what times are expected for the start of each section on the Saturday and when it's meant to finish in the evening?
  17. bbg

bbg Member

Per SBBA website :

Saturday - Shield commences 9am, Cup 12noon, Open 3pm with results for all sections due around 7.30pm.

How's everybody who's competing feeling about this one? The "own choice" format for Shield and Cup should at least make for more appealing listening for an audience, whilst I'm looking forward to hopefuly hearing a couple of "Macbeths" before heading off to an evening band job (yes, it's another "switching on of the Christmas lights" one!)

Notice that Camborne are making the long trip up for the Open - if anyone from that band is reading this, where are you guys staying for the weekend? If you want any info on places to eat / drink in Perth, happy to help if I can.
  18. Tromgod

Tromgod Member

Hi & thanks for the offer

Camborne are actually staying in Stirling while we are up for the contest. Any hints as to any good bars nearby? It's all a bit random as my brother and I (he also plays in the band) are from Glasgow originally but moved to Cornwall when we were young. Unfortunately, I've only been to Stirling once before and don't know that area very well so any suggestions would be gratefully received.
  19. bbg

bbg Member

Hi Tromgod

Sorry, although it's only about 30 miles down the road, I don't know Stirling particularly well! Now, if any of the ladies in your band wanted to know about shops in Stirling, my wife and daughter could most certainly help (as a bloke, all I'll say is that there's a big indoor mall type thing like in 90% of towns in Britain) but I'm not up to speed on bars etc - our favourite restaurant is the River House on the edge of Stirling, but you'll no doubt be eating in your hotel. Perhaps if Katy or Jack from Clackmannan Band read this, they could get some Stirling info from some of their band mates?
  20. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

15 bands to play an 11 minutes or so piece in four hours? Think results are more likely to be at 7.30am SUNDAY than 7.30pm Saturday!