Scottish Bands Forum

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by eckyboy, Oct 17, 2005.

1. eckyboy

eckyboy Member

Hope I'm in the right place with this post mods.
    Theres a new forum started which hopefully will bring all banders together. I use all the forums but hopefully this one will appeal to everyone as it has no ties to any bands. Although it is Scottish we hope we get members from all over.
    Please feel free to take a look and make a few posts and start a few threads.
  2. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

Why would we want to use this forum when we've got tMp ???
  3. eckyboy

eckyboy Member

It is designed for anyone, we have loads of forums in Scotland so this was just to try and bring them all together. I use tMP all the time, no offence meant.
  4. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

As is tMP...!!

tMM's thought for the day...

I am always in two minds as to these type of posts, and we had similar issues with other similar to tMP type forums. On the one hand...

... why should tMP allow the free promotion of competitor forums, when it is me that has spent massive effort, far too much time and not inconsiderable amounts of money in providing a platform for all banders, promoting tMP and recruiting members etc. only to have people come to tMP, and without any polite request promote their own forums freely and for free!!! On top of this... there's not even a link on the newly created forum to the very site that they want to use to bring many new members to their forums ... :eek:

... and on the other hand...

why not? If the setting up of additional forums to do what is already on offer here on tMP benefits others, then effectively there's less of an issue.

It does frustrate me... and as you say eckyboy... you'll know what I mean when I say no offence meant yeah...

(still offends a bit yeah)
  5. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

This forum brings all banders together, this forum appeals to everyone and has no ties to any bands, and maybe its not scottish but it definitely has members from all over. So I'm not quite sure what the point in it would be.

no offence
  6. eckyboy

eckyboy Member

Sorry musicman, I'm in the process of getting a link thing put on the forum so people can see who you are but I'm not that hot at doing it so someone is getting it set up. You can delete the post if it's offensive.

edit - I've also advertised your site on other forums and dont feel I'm a competitor with a forum with a handfull of members. I appologise for the post and please delete it as I am unable to do so.
  7. ronnie_the_lizard

I had a look, but there's not a single association thread. How can that possibly compete........
  8. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Long may it stay that way.....
  9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

:confused: ... why promote it as a Scottish band forum if it is meant to be universal?
  10. Sharpy

Sharpy Member

I dont think its such a bad idea. From what I have seen and heard on the grapevine, several scottish bands are in trouble when it comes to recruiting players and keeping bands going as a result of a lack of players. This forum as well as tMP could help people come together and address some of the issues which currently are affecting Scottish banding.

I dont want to sound too pessamistic but if something isn't done soon then banding in certain areas of Scotland could stop completely. There are too many bands having to pull out of competitions up here recently and the question needs to be asked why and how to stop it.

I use about 6 or 7 different forums, most of which are brass related, so what is the problem with having another one? If you dont want to view it, dont go there! Its a free country and no one is forcing anyone to go and use any particular forum over another!!
  11. ronnie_the_lizard

>>This forum as well as tMP could help people come together............
    >>................I use about 6 or 7 different forums

The problem is that not everyone is diligent enough to visit 2 separate forums regularly, so you risk having half the scottish contingent coming to tMp and half going to SBF and so you end up with less people 'coming together' to talking to one another than if they were all in the same place.

I don't have any particular problem per se with a second forum being set up - but I do fear that it won't be for the good of the Brass Band community as a whole to have too many fora.
  12. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Good debate here folks, however....

I feel you are perhaps missing the poiint here Sharpy. I have no issues with any other sites beign started, none at all... and besides... I can't, but this is not what concerns me. Of course people have a choice, they choose to visit whatever sites they desire, and there's no real need to say... "It's a free country and no one is forcing... etc" as it somewhat lowers the tone; everyone already knows this yeah. Maybe it's the written word as opposed to spoken word and thus I am misreading the tone... apologies if so.

What concerns me here though is absolutely nothing to do with the points your make, it is to do with the fact that tMP is used as a free promotional tool for these sites. The thing is you see, as Ronnie says, we are after the same audience, the same market. It is me who has expended significant effort, time and money in promoting and building tMP to where it is today, so do I allow the free advertising and promotion of sites specifcally set up to attract this very same audience? If you want to be totally fair, and to play 100% evenly, then by all means start a site but then spend the same amount of effort, time and money I have in building it, promoting it, and developing it... don't do this on the back of someone else - especially without mention to the very site you are using to advertise your new site. The sites in question are benefiting significantly from promoting themselves on tMP, why should they not pay for that service... I have!!

I could quite easily visit 'other' sites, and make posts such as "Why not pop over to tMP where a forum such as this already exists etc et etc..." - and I have seen many of those on tMP, but

(1) I wouldn't do this out of respect and courtesy for the site owners and
    (2) I imagine this would be frowned upon by the site owner anyway

So, free or charged for promotion for sites attempting to attract the same audience... ???
  13. eckyboy

eckyboy Member

I said to delete the thread but I have now put a link to tMP on the forum which I dont think is anywhere near the standard of this one and I'm genuingly sorry to have made you take offence. It is a small forum to cater for bands up our end of the country and to reach the audience that reads it.
  14. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I agree totally. If there is a demand for a specific Scottish Banding forum, could there not be one set up on here? Maybe all associations would like one too? I haven't looked at the forum being promoted, but from what I have read in this thread, the issues that are being / need to be discussed are by no means unique to Scotland.

As a professional information manager, I don't think it is a good idea to dilute the information and discussion that is available across the web even further than is necessary. I think that by having a number of - for want of a better word - competing forums all targetting the same user base, it becomes difficult for the end user to know where to go to get the info they require, and to know where the most active discussion is taking place. If you want to promote discussion, then you need to focus as many users as possible to one specific place, rather than dispersing your user base across the entire net.

I too am not against the existence of other forums (and, unlike John, I have no axe to grind here!) but I can't really see the point of new forums being set up in addition to the ones that already exist. There are only a limited number of brass bands in the world - lets not have an equal number of forums ;)

15. eckyboy

eckyboy Member

Can one of the mods please delete the thread, it was never meant to cause an argument and I asked at the start if it was ok to put it here.
  16. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I don't think it is an argument - just a good debate, which is what we all come here for!! :tup

17. Sharpy

Sharpy Member

Im sorry if my comments came over as a little over zealous!! Didnt mean to cause you any offence whatsoever!!

After reading your reply I totally understand and agree with everything you have said. I was just pointing out that we have free speech and can look at what we want over the ole t'internet! I just think that it was a good idea thats all but I can see other peoples arguements too for saying why not have it on tMP.

But in all honesty I think that the majority of Scottish Banders who use tMP will continue to use tMP as well as SBF. Simply because tMP is so good and you get to bounce ideas around with people from other areas. SBF will probably deal with more Scottish related issues that I highlighted in my earlier post perhaps.
  18. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

I use lots of different forums (fora?) and get something different from each of them. I feel a bit sorry for Alec getting it in the neck from everybody, especially since it was me who registered the new forum and submitted a link to the tMP Link Directory (which was approved by one of the mods).

Not quite sure why Alec's wishes to have this thread removed weren't respected... ;)
  19. ignore me

ignore me Member

Why not have another brass band forum?

After all, there is an interesting rumour about who will be sitting principle cornet for Scottish Co-op for the Scottish Open on it.
  20. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

With at least 8 Brass forums in Scotland now, (including this new 1), where they all mostly have the same things dicussed on them, (thats general Scottish band stuff im on about), is there a need for so many?

I mostly just stick to Kingdoms forum now for any general stuff that interests me, as it seems to be the busiest and besides, the same content is usually seen on the others anyway.