Scots supporting England?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Dave Payn, Jun 3, 2006.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Well, after all this fuss about whether the Scots should be following England.... I can think of one good reason why they should. After all, if England win the World Cup and eradicate '1966 and all that', perhaps the Scots, next time they play England, can eradicate '1967 and all that'!

:) :)

(All in jest, folks!)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Scots
    Scottish
    Parliament
    Englishman
    North
  3. As most people will know on here, im a solid leeds united fan, and leeds have had some excellent scottish players in the past, billy bremner, gordon strachan, gary mcallister, just to name a few, so why should the scots and english have a problem with each other? players of both nations have played in both countires before, if anything, i think all british countries, when they arent playing against each other, should link up and support each other. football should be a positive thing between football fans, not negative, its almost becoming a war between nations fans, i certainly wouldnt wanna get caught up in it all, i'd have to use my taekwondo skills as physical violence! lol

4. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Becoming a war?? It's been a war for a few hundred years, the football supporters just like to continue the resentment (and yes it is both ways) because it's kind of hard to put aside the traditional differences between the two. Scottish and English fans have always hated each other, it's nothing new at all.

I for one tho am a partiotic Scottish Britton, supporting Scotland first and foremost and then all the home nations, provided, of course, that they aren't playing Scotland.

Come on Eng-gur-land!!!!!!! :p

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

As long as the media bandwagon doesn't overload again saying how great England are (... how many clips of the '66 campaign has already been shown? ... :-? ), they will get British support as long as it is appreciated that there are other good teams in the competition as well! :)

6. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

hehehe... Judging I took a scottish friend of mine somewhere with an England flag hanging off my car and he turned his nose up at it, almost refusing to get in the car, :)P)... well, draw conclusion yourself ;)

Since then, I now have both scottish and england flags on my car... but that's only cos I have a Scottish husband ;P
    When I was out and about the other day, I had some old man (like, in his 80s or something lol) give me the thumbs UP as I drove past..... I'm sure it was over the england flag and other english things I've put on the car, cos he had England cap and tshirt on.... didn't see and haven't seen any thumbs down for the Scottish flag..... yet.

;)

7. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

I can't and won't ever support an English football team at international level. It's not the players, most of whom I admire and would gladly have in Scotland. It's the media and the commentators ramming 55+11 down our throats all the time. Ah well, like Dave says, we'll always have Wembley 67 when Jim Baxter really took the cr*p out of the World Champions.

Good luck anyway, but I'm supporting Sweden and the marvellous Henrik.

8. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Thing is, why judge the English football team or base your non support of them over a media that I reckon even most of the English recognise is mediocre? I for one don't take them seriously. Even the so called 'quality' newspapers' reporters like Henry Winter, James Lawton, Martin Samuel etc. etc. their views are worth pittance to me.

Even though I mentioned in another thread how Scotland went OTT with their 'Ally's Army' in 1978, (you see, it's not just the English!) I'd always will a home nation to do well, even if they defeat England along the way.

What annoys me though about the commentators in particular, is not the 1966 references, but in every bleedin' football game, they come up with a series of useless statistics refering to previous meetings years ago, whetther a team will win when the year ends in 1, whether a team usually wins on a full moon etc. etc. like they mght ave a bearing on the result of the game they're commentating on!

9. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

*cough*

I honestly just cannot bring myself to support England - and it's nothing to do with the team, players or manager. Its all to do with the media. I'm far too young to remember what happened in 1966, but still unwantedly we get it shoved down our throats. A particular tabloid is really getting up my nose at this moment in time as far as to the point where I'm buying another newspaper.

How long will it be before '66 is mentioned by one of the commentators? :mad:

And this happens just in football? I had great delight in watching the Ashes last year, and the rugby world cup, no problems with Nigel Mansell, Damon Hill, Ronnie O'Sullivan or Faldo or Henman for that matter.

10. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

See my earlier reply to Mr Martin's piece about the media..... we're not all like that you know! My first post was genuinely in jest but to use tabloid trash as an excuse for not following England is petty. I'm not suggesting, asking or expecting anyone outside England to follow them in Germany but the reasons for not doing so thus provided on this thread are frankly, crud.

11. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Of course there are. I believe England will have achieved even if they 'only' get to the semi finals. There are plenty of potential winners in my book. Brazil, Argentina, Czech Republic, Holland, France. All capable of winning it. (I have to admit, I don't PERSONALLY fancy Germany's chances). I do wish people would stop banging on about the 'media'. Ultimately, they don't matter and no one's obliged to take their opinions seriously.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Scots
    Scottish
    Parliament
    Englishman
    North
  13. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Dave, at the end of the day I will never support a Rangers team in Europe, even if their efforts benefit Scottish teams. Why? Quite simply they are my own teams greatest rivals and their gain is usually to the detriment of Celtic. I apply the same argument on the international stage, England and Scotland are each their own greatest rivals and we both like sticking it to each other. It's what the game is all about; getting one over on your great rivals. Enjoy the World Cup and have a laugh that you're there and we're not. I'll still share a beer with you if I bump into you at a contest in the future. :)

14. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Fair do's, John! I just can't fathom out all this fuss about the gobs***e media. Purveyors of infantile trash. (Bit like me, really... ;))

Or why not come here and visit us? Beautiful island! :) One of the pubs here even does decent beer! ;)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2006
  15. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Interesting thread, and good points are indeed made regarding the media. Dave, please don't underestimate how badly the media seem to manage 'supporters' who they could get to support England.

I remember watching Sky TV news a few years ago when the three home nations were playing. England drew or maybe even lost (can't remember) against someone, Scotland I believe also drew against whoever they were playing, but Wales actually somehow managed to beat Italy 2-1, the then European (or world??? shows I am not a footie head eh!!) champions. Now then... guess which one of those three games was NOT even mentioned on Sky News...? I mean it Dave... not even a friggin mention.

They showed 2 mins of clips from the England game, 1 min of clips from the Scottish game and that was it. Didn't even mention that Wales had played superbly and beaten Italy at the wonderful Millenium Stadium.

Do Sky realise how much damage this did? How many more supporters they could have got for England during the World Cup...?

Of course I will be supporting England during the World Cup, but as for Sky... phah, they can take a hike they really can.

16. dyl

dyl Active Member

I don't give a (self-modded) what the media do - I can choose to switch off or not buy a particular paper - what gets me is the amount of St. George's Cross flags I have to look at every single day - IN WALES.

I went to Chester last Saturday and rightly so, the flag was everywhere - no complaints whatsoever - I was in England.

But when people come over here for the weekend or on holiday and force that flag down our throats - some with four on a car, then I'm afraid I'm only ever going to get cheesed off. And when my mate put a Welsh flag on his car the other day, only to have someone pass him (in a car whch had a couple of England flags on display) - and the driver of said car give him some rude signals for having the cheek to display the Welsh flag IN WALES then I don't see why some people are shocked as to why we can't and don't support England.

17. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

Exactly Dyl. I drove down the old coast road to Mostyn this morning and I've never seen so many England flags on display in Wales - to say it grates on me is an understatement.

I've now put two Welsh flags out of my car windows. However, before I travel to band practice in Stockport tomorrow these will be removed - partly out of respect and acknowledgement that I will be leaving Wales and entering England, and partly because I want to find that my car still has windows when I return to it after band practice. The lack of common courtesy amongst alot of the English who come here astounds me.

18. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

It'll be very interesting to see how Anglopohobic things get in Wales and Scotland if England DO win the world cup.

19. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

It's going to be interesting if we do get to the final as I'll be in Fort William camping! Going to be fun looking for somewhere showing the match!

20. BA Baritone

BA Baritone Member

Another reason for the tension is the Scots reluctance to be associated with the small minority of english fans who seem intent on causing trouble wherever they go. They give the honest fans, who want to enjoy the game itself and the atmosphere that goes with that, a bad reputation. I think this feeling is echoed by many countries and is especially evident, when on holiday, how quickly local's attitudes change when you explain you're scottish and not (as they often assume) english. As usual it's the few troublemakers ruining it for everyone else.

21. andy;-)

andy;-) Member

To all the Scots out there, please remember that as a Englishman I have to put up with a Scottish Prime Minister, A Scottish Chancellor, A Scottish Leader of Parliament (who no-one understands!) and Scottish MP’s voting through laws that only affect England. In addition to seeing the vast majority of my tax payments go North of the border.

And all we get in return is jealously because you have a cr*p football team...............

22. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Not forgetting that the Scottish MPs voted FOR a Government motion under a three line whip, having voted the opposite way in the Scottish Parliament on the same topic. Tuition fees, IIRC.

Go on, then! Take your North Sea Gas and see how far it gets you. ('Cos that's invariably the response when this is brought up.)