Score - Senator

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ploughboy, May 16, 2007.

1. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

We're currently attacking this as our Whit fro contest march - there seems to be varied dynamics across the parts. Is there a score available?

Cheers as always
  2. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Wright and Round may be able to help; they have started a series of newly originated scores for classic contest marches for which previously no full scores existed.

However, a quick glance at their website does not show "Senator" listed at all, therefore possibly either a) it's not one of theirs, or, b) it's "out of print"

As a last resort, am I correct in thinking that "Senator" is one of Geo Allen's, same as "Knight Templar"? If so, then I believe it is now "Public Domain", therefore there is legally nothing stopping you creating your own. (I only know this because last year I tried to get permission to make a full score for "Knight Templar", and was told I didn't need any. Obviously, you should check this for yourself ... )
  3. Tub Thumper

Tub Thumper Member

I've never quite understood why you can't write out the score of something you have BOUGHT the parts to (and they don't provide the score!). I know it's to do with copyright but it all seems a bit silly to me!

I once asked Arthur Butterworth about why older music had no score when I was doing the Accrington & Rossendale band course and he told me that the parts used to be sold with score sized manuscript paper so the conductor could write the score out and learn how it all fits together (i.e. you used to be encouraged to write a score out....)
  4. Tub Thumper

Tub Thumper Member

PS If anyone from Studio music is reading this, please, please, please, please stop creating the short scores you put in with pieces! I'd rather pay an extra £5+ and have a full score, thanks......
  5. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

I haven't worked at Studio since 2000, but even then we were issuing full scores with all pieces.

Either they have reverted, or you haven't bought a piece from them for 7 years!

6. Tub Thumper

Tub Thumper Member

Either could be true! :)

That said, I was looking at buying Goff Richard's arrangement of Crimond on Ebay the other day and I was really surprised it had a short score. That said, it could be a pre-2000 arrangement but I thought it was fairly recent?!:oops:
  7. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

No, that was published while I was there - early 90s ?????