score re-production

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by beard_4b, Sep 16, 2007.

1. beard_4b

beard_4b Member

is there a service avaliable where i could send somebody a score and they could re-produce the band parts off it using sibelius? don't know what copyright implications this would have. anybody help?
  2. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

There are serious copyright implications here if the score is of a published piece of music. Can you not contact the publisher and buy the parts. Apart from being the legal road to go down it would be far quicker too.

3. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

I'll be happy to do that for you, but I will have to charge for my time, as would most people, I think. Depends if it's a Sibelius score to start with. If it's hand-written, you are basically asking someone to set it for you. If it's already on Sibelius, all you have to do is extract the parts.

PM me if you are interested in getting it professionally set, and I'll see how long it will take me.
  4. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

If it's a score to a piece you have written, then you currently own the copyright in the music and what happens from here on in is a matter for negotiation between you and whoever does the typesetting. As Duncan says, there are plenty of people who would do that - I would be happy to - but it is a professional service and gets charged as such!

If it is not your own music, then the copyright implications of such an activity would be horrendous - just don't do it!! (The only exception is if the composer has been dead for more than seventy years. Then it's in the public domain and it becomes much more simple.)