Score or Errata - who decides ?

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Neil the Bass, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Neil the Bass

Neil the Bass New Member

I listened to the adjudication for the 2nd Section at Bradford on Saturday. When one of the two adjudicators was giving his remarks he made mention of the fact that some bands had not made use of the errata that he & others had published on various websites.

My question is: were bands penalised for not utilising 'his' errata, and therefore for playing what was actually written in the score?

If they were, it would seem that it is now compulsory for all bands to have an internet connection to find this information. I would have thought that the errata should come from the music publisher or from the area association - and be available to all, not just those who wish to trawl the 'net.

So, should bands follow 'unofficial' errata (and be penalised if the errata author is the adjudicator) or follow the score ?

Maybe I've got this all wrong.......please tell me if so.
  2. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I heard that as well...and just as bad (in my opinion) is that a test piece that has been used for..what...30,40,50 years...can't be published properly in this day and age?!
  3. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

My feeling is that unless it is claused 'official errata' and issued by the publishers, you have a tricky decision to make.

After all one person publishing an errata is only giving their opinion of what the error is in some cases, although some errors blatantly obvious.

Its a bit tricky to get RVW to give us a definitive answer now!

Bottom line is the individual MD has to make his own mind up. Its just pathetic though that this dilema occurs time and time again.