Scorch Question

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by DublinBass, Apr 8, 2005.

1. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I have figured out how to listen to a sibelius piece using scorch. Is there any way to record the piece as an MP3 file so you can listen to it on an MP3 player or put it on a CD?

2. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Notwithstanding the usual caveats concerning possible breaches of copyright law, etc., etc., it's worth having a look at the various bits and pieces of software utilities that come with your soundcard; they sometimes come with some sort of Audio Stream Recorder. Whether or not you can get it to work is a different matter - the documentation that comes with these packages is 'basic' to say the least ...

3. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

Think you can save it as a Midi-File, and play it in Media Player or Real.. whatever..
    I've done it before.. not sure how I did it.. Soz

4. Don't know about scorch but there is a way around the problem if the files can't be saved directly.

If you get a stereo jack to stereo jack lead you can plug your 'speaker out' to the 'line in' on your sound card.
    You could then download a piece of free software (such as Audacity) to record the sound as you play it using scorch and Audacity can save the recording as a Wav (or Mp3 if you also install the free LAME plug in).

May be some loss of quality but wouldn't expect it to be noticable. Depends how much you want to record it whether this is worth it or not!

Re saving as midi, you can do this from Sibelius I think, but I guess you haven't got sibelius or you wouldn't be using scorch?

5. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

Sorry, yeah.. I was on about Sebelius.. Nor tried it on Scorch.

6. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

no need for leads....

Get WaveLab.... start the record in wavelab and then play back the file... save this..... it's a WAV file.... then download MusicMatch and convert the file into an MP3.... ta daaaa :biggrin:

7. Adrian Horn

Adrian Horn Member

If only WaveLab didn't cost £395!

Ideally you need to play the scorch file back using an external midi sound module or keyboard and record the outputs from the sound module using Sound Recorder which is built in to windows (Start - Programs - Accessories - Entertainment). Then use the software that came with your MP3 player to turn the WAV file it creates into an MP3.

The only problem with putting a cable between the outputs and line inputs of you soundcard is that you will more than likely get feedback unless the software you are using will not route sound coming in back out again. Most of them route it this way as standard, and it can take quite a bit of fiddling to sort it, and in many cases, free software doesn't have these sort of options.

8. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Since it is one of HBBs pieces that he wrote, I'll probably just ask him to do that...

Thanks all...case closed.

9. You'll find that the software I specified (Audacity) has all the options required and is free. It doesn't playthrough by default, although it can be selected as an option.

10. Adrian Horn

Adrian Horn Member

Sorry 'bout that missed your post with my high speed thread reading!!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    sibelius piece using scorch
    MP3 player
    Scorch Question
    CD
  12. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

There is a way of using good ol' Sound Recorder to record sounds played by your computer. You have to go to volume control -> properties, and select recording from the menu. A list of recording devices will appear once you exit the screen and you can select one. Check (only) MIDI and press record on sound recorder. Now play the piece through Scorch and it *should* record.

Personally I find it much easier to use Sound Forge, but that's also a lot more expensive.

13. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I got it with my soundcard 8) hehehe (Audigy 2 ZS)...
    also get Cubase SX (i think) too, along with some other random stuff...

It's WaveLab lite.... but still does the trick ;-)

14. Adrian Horn

Adrian Horn Member

That only works if your soundcard has its own built in midi sounds I think Eg. Soundblaster cards. Though you could try it with Microsoft GM wavetable if that appears as an option in the recording devices.

15. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

16. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I've had excellent results using a combination of sibelius/scorch and either creative's wave editor or the one in nero. Just playing the piece back and recording it at the same time does the trick. Obviously the quality won't be audiouphile standard, but if you haven't got 1000's of squid to splash out you make do with it.

It's been good enough to listen to in the car. :)

17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Even better when you use customised soundfonts to help get a more realistic sound. The brass default voices are not that great! Once you get your fonts tuned up properly, the effect compared to the original set is fairly convincing. Soundforge 7 (with various plugins) is the recorder/editor of my choice.

p.s., the proggy has now been upgraded to version 8

18. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Let's face it, the frog's chorus would sound more convincing than the original 2MB soundfont set!. Although I have problems with the 8MB set that I use as the timpani sounds 'nearly' an octave out of tune! :eek: (actually 10 semitones. Don't ask me how - I'm not that much of a nerd)

19. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I find using the Creative 4GMGSMT soundset is adequate using midi-synth 'A' with custom soundfonts configured on pre-set banks. I have tried many mega Soundfont sets through various soft-synths and each have various limitations and quirks that annoy rather than help. Now, if Sibelius extended the number of channels to 24 or more then we would see more interesting arrangements and compositions! :)