School Teachers who went on to become known

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ian perks, Aug 31, 2006.

1. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

When you were at school or at school now were there any teachers who went on do something and become known for it:
    We had the author of the Novel & it went on to become a film as well staring Clint Eastwood:
    "FIREFOX" - Craig Thomas
    Steve Biggins- Who went to play for Shewsbury and Oxford Football Clubs
    Roy Cross - Who played for Walsall Football Club.
    Were you/are taught by any one at all?
  2. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

We had a Miss Gerrard and another female sports teacher (who's name escapes me) who both represented England Ladies at Hockey apparently, but I never saw them play.
  3. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

My tutor (Tom Walker) was a Gold medallist in the veteran Olympics when I was in school. He still wins medals for swimming even though he's over 75 now.

Also my maths teacher (Barbara Young) wrote all the books that schools use to teach maths from!

EDIT - ooh, and (from a different secondary school), my head of year is currently a Member of the Welsh Assembly!
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  4. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

A couple of my teachers went on to become locally famous, not for anything you'd be pround of you understand;)
  5. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

My music teacher at school was the bass player from Dexies Midnight runners and my sister's music teacher was the famous trumpet player Trevor Jones. I worked with a teacher last year that has a couple of medals from the commonwealth games and also Frank Skinner taught at my college.
  6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

When I was in Coventry, one of our sports teachers played for Coventry RU team, and had a few appearances in England squads.

Brian (his surname escapes me at present!), one of my history masters in Windsor, went on to lead one of the Oxford college choirs, making several recordings with them.
  7. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

If any of my teachers had been slightly better they might have passed for mediocre. None of them ever have or ever will do anything famous.
    I on the other hand am now a badger. So Yar Boo Sucks to all of them who said I'd never amount to anything.
  8. markyboy

markyboy Member

Shouldn't the title say School not Scool ??????
  9. MaxPressure

MaxPressure Member

My old music teacher used to do session work with Jethro Tull, but one of my old school mates went on to be a 'Rock Photographer' having had peeps like Bob Geldof and the Gallaghers pose for him, his pics often appear in NME and other like publications.
  10. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

One of many music lecturers at college was the principal conductor of fame in the west end, and taught at the brit school thing, he had katie melua in his tutor group.
    Shame he didnt teach us for very long! Very interesting man tho!
  11. dickyg

dickyg Member

couple of my mates had John Godber (who wrote 'Bouncers', Up'an under' etc) as their Head of Drama

just as an aside, I worked with a teacher who taught Nick Berry and told him he'd never make anything of himself as an actor (probably accurate!)
  12. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

My PE teacher, Mr Pike was one of the 1st drummers in Joy Division.

My Marketing tutor at college founded the Happy Mondays, was the Market Mgr at Factory records and (apparently) the 1st person in Manchester to sell baggies on the street!
  13. bigcol

bigcol Member

One of my old PE teachers used to coach of Sale Sharks (rugby) and now does the England team.
  14. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

:eek: (allegedly!)
  15. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

at Ysgol David Hughes we had Matthew Maynard ( England and Wales Cricketer) , Charlie Maynard ( Mathew's brother) a session bass trom player in London , Arthyr Emyr ( first presenter of Welsh Football Show Scorio) , Aled ( were walking in the Air) Jones ( no relation), Eifion Williams ( Wolves reject ended up playing for the Hartlepool "Monkeyhangers" Football club )
  16. T Winch

T Winch Member

One of my primary school teachers was George Courtney a famous football referee in the 70s & 80s. He refereed several cup finals and even refereed at the word cup finals