School of Rock...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by BrianT, Aug 4, 2010.

1. BrianT

BrianT Member

In the film School of Rock, the teacher hands out CDs as listening homework. The kids have to listen to Blondie, Yes, Rush, Hendrix and Pink Floyd and be inspired.

If you were in his position, what CDs or individual tracks would you hand out to inspire a newbie to what's possible with brass?

Or has someone given you a CD that's inspired you?
  2. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

I hand out CD's to our band of tracks that we are rehearsing or are on our programme list.

It helps to hear them played and become familiar with them.
  3. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I try to avoid doing that if at all possible; I can do without comments like "What do you want to do that for? That's not how Albert Cobblethwaite did it with Grimy Black Fairys o' the Dyke in 1953 ... "

[ ... also one of the reasons I particularly dislike the concept of the "Regionals" CD's ... ]
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  4. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

The initial question was about inspring people to what's possible, rather than using CDs to demonstrate how a piece should actually go.

For inspiring newbies, I'd suggest you need not look much farther than the "Pagannini Variations" album by Grimethorpe. (Which you can find here:

Two blistering good major works (one contemporary, one old-school) and a fine mix of lollipops, transcriptions, cracking good marches and other enjoyable concert items.

"All killer, no filler..." as we metalheads used to say. A brass newbie is practically guaranteed to find something they like on it. The only thing it's missing is a hymn.
  5. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

Easy: borrow my iPod!

Currently full of: Yes, Maynard Ferguson, Arturo Sandoval, George Thorohgood & The Destroyers, Deep Purple, More Yes, Earth Wind & Fire, Liane Carroll, Jamie Cullum, Seth Lakeman, Jethor Tull, More Yes, Kool & The Gang, Van Der Graaf Generator and Sussex Symphony Orchestra (whatever our last gig was!).

I think the word is eclectic!

If this was to help kids who are already in a brass band, then I'd throw in a load of Basie, Kenton and the like.
  6. simonium

simonium Member

The first three band CDs I listened to were Paganini Variations, The Essence Of Time and Welsh Wizards. Two out of three ain't bad I suppose...;)

I would still refer any bander in the direction of The Essence Of Time as an album. Brilliant programme and equally brilliant playing.
  7. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Totally agree with Maynard, EW&F and Kenton.

I would add Chicago, Tower of Power, and Herp Alpert & the Tijuana Brass!
  8. Kjata

Kjata Member

9. Thirteen Ball

Glad to be of service! ;)

Yeah it's a cracking selection of tracks. And Kevin Crockford giving it heaps on the Sop descant in "Ruby Tuesday" is worth the price on it's own.
  10. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

If I had to choose only a few...

A Golden year - Black Dyke - Journey to the centre of the Earth, Extreme Make-over, A Night to Sing, Eden
    Year of the Dragon - Britannia Building Society - Firebird, Year of the Dragon
    Rule Britannia - Britannia Building Society - Rhapsody in Brass, The Old Chalet, Pines of Rome, Steal Away, Partita.
    Triumphant Brass - Cory - On the shoulders of Giants, Titan's Progress, From Ancient Times
    Echoes of the East - Cory BAYV - The Armed Man, Echoes of the East, Macarthur Park
    Art of the States - Eikanger Bjoersvik - Art of the states, Tour de Band, Letters from home, Children of Sanchez, Tanga, Adagio for Strings
    20 Supreme Years - Eikanger Bjoersvik - Cossack Dance, Act 1 Lohengrin, Flower Song (Euph), Daphne and Chloe, Passacaglia
    Classic Brass - Grimethorpe - Florentiner March, William Tell, Sweet Georgia Brown, Sugar Blues, Mr Jums, Macarthur Park, Mr Lears Carnival, Procession from the Minster, Irish Turn for C Derry
    International Brass Spectacular - International Staff Bands of the SA - Fanfare of Praise, Marche Slave, You're never too far from god, A Collage of contemporary praise, In perfect peace, Folk Dances, Corpus Christi
    Kings of Europe - Yorkshire Building Society - Harmony Music, Montage, Tallis Variations, Dove Descending, Concerto Grosso, Blitz
    Windows of the World - YBS - Molly on the shore, Slaughter on 10th Ave, Piper O'Dundee, Hymn for Diana, WoftheWorld

If I had to choose just one or two stand out recordings! ;-)
  11. Thirteen Ball

Is that the one where the band have to wear leg-irons.... ;)
  12. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

All of which you have purchased yourself and NOT copied - of course.
  13. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

Good topic, not thought it through but there would definately be something by PJBE in there from me. Oh and some Tower of Power, His Majesty's Sackbutt and Cornetts. Would have to be a mix of jazz, brass, classics, pop etc.
  14. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

you know I will not do that in future. it never ocurred to me that it is of course illegsal. I was under the impression that it was ok for training purposes, as they aint permanent. they get trashed and replaced with the next prieces.:oops: