School leavers off dole/prepared to train or have experienced person for the job

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ian perks, Apr 8, 2010.

1. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

This week our boss as took on a school leaver who had been on the dole since leaving school last year to train as a butcher as we have had a vacancy arise within the company.
    He could have had a experienced butcher but as gone for a school leaver and is prpared to give them chance in what is a trade that not many school leavers want to do.
    This person is prepared to get stuck in and show willing to learn which is good to see and our boss is very pleased.
    Does your work place take on school leavers to train up or go for a experienced peron for the job or
    If you have your own bussiness do you employ a experienced person for a vacancy or are you prepared to go for school leaver and give them a chance of a profession in that trade.
  2. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Both. When we do recruit we tend to take on both apprentices and experienced engineers.

What has impressed me with our place is that age really is no issue. I've seen people only a couple of years from retirement taken on because as far as skill set goes they've ticked the right boxes.
  3. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure somewhere has a program to retrain all the dropped h's in the original post...:p
  4. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

My workplace recruits school leavers in vast numbers. But then again, it is a University.
  5. John_D

John_D Member

The only school leavers we take on are those leaving primary school. Then again I teach in a secondary school.
  6. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

At the moment my workplace doesn't recruit. It just condenses posts into one so only half the required work can be done, and uses the resultant cash saving to hike senior managers' pay.

I work for a local authority, by the way. That's where your council tax goes.....
  7. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Taking on unemployed workers under 24 is attractive at the moment, the state is currently paying the wages for the first six months.
  8. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

9. hicks

hicks Member

Ah, that explains my extortionate council tax rates!