School Band Music for 9-11yr olds

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by simonpohare, Oct 5, 2009.

1. simonpohare

simonpohare Member

Can anyone suggest Brass Band music suitable for kids who have been playing for 2 or 3 years. I've exhausted the Stuart Johnson Preliminary Band bk, but would appreciate any other suggestions along a similar line. Cheers. Simon (1st time tmp poster!)
  2. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

Well.....there is lots of music you can get designed for schools (don't know where you can get it) that has something like 5 parts in lots of different keys to suit all instruments - usually the musics not too difficult.

Mostyns Music are usually a good bet.
  3. Red Dog Brass

Red Dog Brass Member

Have a look at my website -

Catch a falling star is always a winner - might be a bit easy if they've been playing for a while though.
  4. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

We also do a range of Training Band music - go to our website for more details (
  5. Kjata

Kjata Member

try elgar howarths just brass range, they are very good and have some enjoyable music for both players and audiences.
  6. simonpohare

simonpohare Member

just spent ages on mostyn- thanks for the tip!
  7. simonpohare

simonpohare Member

Thanks for those. will have a look now. Cheers!
  8. Big Shiny Brass

Big Shiny Brass New Member

Hi Simon,

I've done a collection of five pieces that are perfect for players at that age - the pieces are suitable for grade 1 and 2 standard.

They're all really fun to play; very well-known tunes that the kids will know and enjoy playing.

You can have a listen here:

Good luck!
  9. simonpohare

simonpohare Member

Cheers, Matt.
  10. IJK

IJK Member

Have you an email address I can send you some samples of a new resource by Simon Kewin Mode for Band.

It a fantastic package with a cd for all the parts so you can print as many as you like for as many players as you have. Also if you just have Eb Horns you have all the parts in Eb or Bb.

Also on the cd is midi files of the music so you can give to the students to play along to at home

drop me a PM and I will send you examples

Ian Knapton

Mode For
    Sales Advisor
  11. BrianT

BrianT Member

Training Band Music

You could also have a look through some of the pieces I've arranged or composed for the Wantage Trainer Band. Configuration: Cornet 1+2, Horn 1+2, Trombone/Baritone 1+2, Euph, Basses, Percussion. Some jazzy, some folk tunes, and an original double drumkit feature called "Double Time". PM me for more details.
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  12. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

Hi Simon,

I use a lot of the Gary Young arrangements - can't remember who publishes them but they work well for our training band (mixed ages) and popular tunes that they will all recognise too.
  13. bassmittens

bassmittens Member an addition i bought these pieces the other day. What a bargain!!:clap:

Nice to play tunes both the players and audiences will recognise.

Getting them out for them this weekend!
  14. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

I have no idea who arranged them I'm afraid but my school's brass group used to play some really nice arrangements of well known pieces - What Sall we do with the Druken Sailor?, Early One Morning, my Grandfather's Clock...... The tune passed around the band which was nice and they worked well for small groups. I have a feeling all these pieces came from Moystns....but I'm not sure.
  15. sjs

sjs Member

Have a look at our Junior Springboard Series & Springboard Series.
    Junior Springboard is used a lot in schools, Years 5 -8 mostly, based on a brass band quartet with optional extra bass and even optional recorder/flute parts.
    Springboard is essentially for a small brass band with doubling in the Bass lines, no seperate flugel part, 2 Eb Alto lines, 2 Bb Tenor lines. Easy keys & ranges.
    In both Series all low brass parts are provided in both Treble & Bass clefs

16. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

Free music for School/Training Bands available from PDF Brass here.
    Very easy music to get your newest players involved.