Schilke Trombone Mouthpieces

Discussion in 'theMouthPiece.com User Reviews' started by lynchie, Oct 21, 2003.

1. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Has anyone tried these out? I've had my conductor trying to get me to buy one for a while, but I haven't been able to get to a music shop to try one out, and it's a bit much to spend on a mouthpiece I don't like!

Do they really improve tone and note production, or is it just a sales pitch. The one he advised me to get was a 51D I think. Any thoughts?

2. Bones

Bones Member

To paraphrase the immortal words of Swiss Toni.

"Choosing a mouthpiece is like making love to a beutiful woman.............."
    I can't finish cos the moderators will shoot me down like a dog.

A mouthpiece choice is very personal. There's the school of thought that says play on what you are comfy with. Then there is the people that say you have to play a specific kind of mouthpiece. There are some instrument/mouthpiece combinations that flatter each other and some which are no no. There is no right and wrong answer trust me.

I went down the mouthpiece route and I bought a 51D. I found it too much work, it has a deep cup and a wide throat (Note to the Moderators: I'm talking about the mouthpiece honest!!!!) And you need to be playing all the time or working heavily on your stamina. I presume your teacher has suggested it to you cos that is his mouthpiece of choice. Which to be fair I would suggest similar, as the characteristics of the mouthpiece would be known to him.

Personally, I play on a Bach 5G. It is a good alround mouthpiece. I use it all the time on my large bore trom (Elkhart 8H) Most pro's have said it is a pretty standard set up.

Hope your search is successful. You may wish to post a wanted advert here. Someone somewhere may have a secondhand one lurking about for a fraction of the cost. Sadly I sold mine.

Cheers