Schilke Bb Cornet ??

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ROBTHEDOG, Jun 22, 2007.

ROBTHEDOG Member

Any one had experience of the Bb Schilke Cornets.. With the US$ - £ rate seems a good buy ??
  2. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

My wife plays an XA1, using a Warburton 4BC with a BC8 backbore. This works well enough for 3rd cornet, provided some restraint is exercised. I also use the instrument (with a Schilke 17D4d) on the odd occasion I cannot avoid playing Bb in a brass band, as well as for orchestral cornet work.

Given a free choice, I wouldn't play anything else, although I would have to concede that from a section blending point of view it's probably not an ideal choice. The instrument is inherently bright in sound, probably not helped by the silver plate. (bear in mind that Schilke will not supply in lacquer). For me, it has much better intonation than most other "standard" types of brass-band cornets, and the ease-of-response element makes it much more "relaxing" to play, from a "security" point of view.

I dare say that judicious choice of mouthpiece would go some way towards alleviating the blending problem - Schilke are currently introducing deeper "E" cups across some of the bigger sizes of standard cornet 'pieces, as well as having introduced the "Symphony" range of cornet 'pieces with deep V-cups (these are very expensive, mind - bit difficult to trial them since nobody seems willing to hold sample stock in this country - not so far as I can tell, anyway). In my experience the XA1 does not work well with a DW 'piece, (doesn't fit the receiver properly apart from anything else).

To summarise, I couldn't honestly make an unreserved recommendation, despite the fact that I personally wouldn't play anything else.
  3. brittm

brittm Member

I think the Schilke B flat is unbeatable, much like "GJG" (Hi Gareth) I don't have a use for mine generally but it's the only B flat cornet that I can make a decent noise from!

It's probably true to say that it needs to be played with care as it blows like a trumpet (I don't mean it sounds like one). Having said that you make the noise you hear in your head so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Even better than the rate of US$ exchange is to find a second hand one in good condition (Although they're like gold dust, I believe they go for around the £1k mark).

Did I mention mine is for sale?
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2007

ROBTHEDOG Member

The question, was for a friend who is ex London College of Music studied trumpet under Denis Egan and joined our band as his first ever experience and bought a S/H Yam' and finds it was a bad move.. !!

He's playing 2nd Cornet so sound is what it's about..and naturally knows how to play - He's playing on DW2 at present..

Pakkers have a S/H one at £1000, but at only $2300 US = £1,150 new !!..

pm details of yours, he may be interested

5. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

... trouble is, in reality the real cost will always be more than this. I've had experience purchasing stuff from the US, and you always get stung.

Even if your friend has a cheap way of getting out to the 'States and back, and is prepared to run the risk of attempting to 'smuggle' the instrument back in, there is still going to be the travel/accomodation cost on top.

If you buy the instrument by mail order (or internet) then you have to be prepared for Customs charges, VAT, import tax, Parcelforce "handling charges", etc, you name it, they will find a way of ripping you off. You might be lucky, but the chances are your "bargain" £1,150 could end up being nearer £1500 by the time you actually get hold of the instrument. And you can forget any chance of the vendor being prepared to undervalue the shipment on the paperwork.

Trust me, I speak from bitter experience.

ROBTHEDOG Member

Yep I know in fact had similar problems with both Golf Clubs and spare exhaust parts for my Porsche...

I do spend quite a lot of time in USA though. Perhaps a part ex on the Yam with Packers maybe work better.. particularly in the short term..

As I mentioned not being a Cornet player not sure how that stacks up against Prestige, Smith Watkins etc.. price wise..
  7. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

That is if they ever get around to actually shipping the instrument in the first place. My own bitter experience of a very big music store in the US I was strung along with delivery promise after delivery promise. After 3 months of "it'll be here in a month" or "we are reliant on our suppliers" excuses I told them to shove their flugel order where the sun didn't shine, emailed some retailers here in the UK and within 48 hours was told of a Kanstul 1525 at my local music shop not 10 miles from where I'm sat right now! OK I may have been lucky in that respect, but they let me trial the instrument for as long as I wanted and gave me superb after sales service.

For a small music shop (Shehans in Leicester - and yes I do know the owner before anyone points it out) I was mightly impressed with their service and the final price which albeit was slightly more than the US price including import tax, but not much more.

Sorry for the off-topicness of this post :oops: but it has to be said there is a lot more to buying an instrument than a favourable $/£ exchange rate.
  8. brittm

brittm Member

The Schilke sounds ideal if he's a trumpet player, as I said it's the only Bb cornet I can blow, having been a trumpet player 1st and foremost (now deffinately a Sop player).

I'll send you some details when I'm back from New Zealand.

CHeers, Martin