scart lead to HDMI

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by imthemaddude, Oct 24, 2007.

1. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

I am wondering if it is possible to buy a traditional scart lead to HDMI socket?

2. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Not to my knowledge. The signals are completely different. SCART is a traditional analogue signal whereas HDMI is digital. No doubt someone somewhere will have come up with a box that will do the translation, but a cable, no.

In fact my Sony HDD DVD recorder box does actually do that. Takes in a Sky feed through SCART and outputs to telly on an HDMI cable. Trouble is that recorder costs about £400. There are cheaper ones available. I suggest you try Maplins.

3. imthemaddude

Thanks. I guess what I really need is a scart box that takes more than one but as the tele is on the wall they seem too short to reach the equipment. I was hoping the dvd player could be used in the spare hdmi port.

4. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

If its just DVD playing ability you need then rather than shell out on a SCART switcher, most of which are rubbish anyway, get yourself a decent upscaling DVD player. Of the cheaper models, Samsung are probably the best. I had one for a while and it was top notch performance. I've found this one for £45 at amazon. That'll plug directly into your HDMI port and leave the SCART free for something else e.g. standard def Sky box. You would be looking to pay not much less than that for a good quality SCART switching box.

5. imthemaddude

Excellent :tup Thanks

6. Bari2

Bari2 New Member

You might want to have a look at www.nexxia.co.uk for cables and other accessories. They have an excellent range. I've also found that their technical team are very helpful if you send an email with your requirements to technical@nexxia.co.uk