Scalded Lip

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Meerkat, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Meerkat

Meerkat New Member

Over a week ago I scalded my bottom lip, although visibly healed, I can't play my cornet properly. High notes are impossible, lower ones are sometimes ok but often come out as air. It's as if I've lost all flexibility in my lips and although I'm practising every day things don't seem to be improving. It's very frustrating and any tips/ideas would be much appreciated.
  2. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Ouch!! Sounds nasty!

I think all you can do is keep up with the constant practice and eventually the lip will hopefully soften. It really depends on how badly the lip was scolded and how deeply the scar tissue goes.
  3. gawber

gawber Active Member

You have my sympathy. My son had to have a stitch in his lower lip a few weeks ago after falling off his pushbike. :( He is finding it difficult to play his cornet now.
  4. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Personally, in these circumstances, I would be more inclined to practise less, or even rest completely. Not always easy, I know, especially if there is a concert/contest looming, (Folkestone!) but at the end of the day you have to think long-term. If it's not working, you have to let nature take it's course; pushing too hard at this stage could easily cause more damage in the long run. Some gentle free-buzzing will keep the muscles and tissue in reasonable condition until the injury is fully healed.

I'm sure others will have differing opinions, and, as with all these things, a teacher can't assess the problem properly just on the strength of information given in a forum posting. But, if it was me, and my embouchure, I would rest it.