scaba Spring Contest 2011

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by scaba Media, Feb 19, 2011.

1. scaba Media

scaba Media Member

The scaba Contest Manager has had to inform those bands that had already entered the Spring Contest on Sunday 17th April 2011 that the venue has had to change.

This contest will now take place in the Windmill Theatre at Blatchington Mill School, Nevill Avenue, Hove BN3 7BW.

Neither the date of the contest, 17th April, nor the adjudicator Gareth Pritchard, or the availability of percussion by ev-entz on the day has altered.

The school website can be found at www.blatchingtonmill.org.uk – look under performing arts tab.

All the stage, rehearsal and storage facilities are on one level and there is no need to go outside the building. There is free on-site parking including for coaches,.

Canteen facilities will be available offering a selection of hot and cold filled rolls and baguettes, hot and cold drinks etc, but not hot meals. There is a wheelchair lift to access the canteen should it be required and there are disabled loo facilities.

It is of course a no smoking venue and any smokers will be required to leave the school grounds completely to enjoy a smoke!

scaba sincerely apologises for this last minute change but sometimes things are just beyond your control.

Schedules for this own choice contest are available from the scaba website - www.scaba.co.uk - entries need to be submitted by Sunday 6th March.

Hope to see your band there.

scaba Media

2. Paddy Flower

Paddy Flower Active Member

Thanks to SCABA Media for the line-up, here's Paddy's opinion...

(Championship & Youth Sections have only one entry each, Friary & Shanklin Youth)

First Section
    Chichester City - 4/5 fav
    Horsham Borough - 11/5
    Tilbury - 4/1
    Fairlop Brass - 10/1
    Uckfield Concert Brass - 18/1
    Brass a Musica (Belgium) - 25/1

Second Section
    Uckfield Concert Brass - 8/13 fav
    Brighton & Hove City Brass - 11/8
    Shanklin Town Brass - 13/2
    Godalming - 12/1

Third Section
    Sussex Brass (Hastings) - 4/7 fav
    Snowdown Colliery - 9/4
    Patcham Silver - 5/1
    Cobham - 13/2

Why not enter the Fantasy SCABA Spring Contest yourself...
    E-mail paddy_flower@yahoo.com for details on how to enter
    "Paddy's Fantasy Brass Band League"

3. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

The value is usually in the Belgian bands. They always get misgraded and end up storming the first section :wink:

4. Paddy Flower

par exemple?? ;)

Seriously I know what you mean thou but I have been upgrading the Belgian bands here and I think Brass a Musica might've been better suited to the 2nd. But we'll see, we always do...

5. Laserbeam bass

Brass Band Heist a few years ago, and they stole the first section that year :rolleyes:

6. Paddy Flower

Yeah Folkestone 2008 they won the First Section (before Paddy's time) but I had them fairly short priced the following year when they ended up 3rd in the Champ Section.

I just don't see much in Brass a Musica's recent form to suggest they'll make much of an impact, but as I say, I've been wrong before...

7. Paddy Flower

24 hours of league betting, let's see what their opinions have done to these markets...

First Section
    Chichester City - 9/4 jt fav (from 4/5)
    Horsham Borough - 9/4 jt fav (11/5)
    Brass a Musica (Belgium) - 5/2 (25/1) They're all agreeing with you Laserbeam
    Fairlop Brass - 6/1 (10/1)
    Tilbury - 6/1 (4/1)
    Uckfield Concert Brass - 14/1 (18/1)

Second Section
    Brighton & Hove City Brass - 5/4 fav (from 11/8 )
    Uckfield Concert Brass - 11/8 (8/13)
    Shanklin Town Brass - 7/2 (13/2)
    Godalming - 9/2 (12/1)

Third Section
    Sussex Brass (Hastings) - 5/6 fav (from 4/7)
    Cobham - 11/4 (13/2)
    Snowdown Colliery - 3/1 (9/4)
    Patcham Silver - 9/2 (5/1)

Why not enter the Fantasy scaba Spring Contest yourself...

8. Laserbeam bass

Yuo can lead punters to a tip, but you can't stop them making a decision based on someone elses less than scientific view of a competion :wink:

9. Paddy Flower

Well we're at the eve of Hove so let's take a look at the final SP's...

First Section
    Horsham Borough - 13/8 fav (from 9/4)
    Brass a Musica (Belgium) - 15/8 (5/2)
    Tilbury - 11/4 (6/1)
    Fairlop Brass - 3/1 (6/1)

Chichester City - WITHDRAWN (9/4)
    Uckfield Concert Brass - WITHDRAWN (14/1)

Second Section
    Brighton & Hove City Brass - 11/8 jt fav (from 5/4)
    Uckfield Concert Brass - 11/8 jt fav
    Shanklin Town Brass - 3/1 (7/2)
    Godalming - 6/1 (9/2)

Third Section
    Sussex Brass (Hastings) - Evens fav (from 5/6)
    Snowdown Colliery - 5/2 (3/1)
    Cobham - 5/2 (11/4)
    Patcham Silver - 9/2

It's not too late to enter the Fantasy scaba Spring Contest yourself...

10. Cornet_Matt

Cornet_Matt Member

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    scaba Spring Contest
    FONT=Arial
    Gareth Pritchard
    FONT
    Arial
  12. Laserbeam bass

Cough Cough

I hate to say I told you so, but "I told you so"

Paddy must have been reeling from the original 25/1. Hope you all got on early :tongue:

13. Paddy Flower

Cough, cough. Rule 4. My odds-on favs pulled out. Other than that, yes you did tell me so.

14. Laserbeam bass

Surely that is only on bets placed after the final declaration. Anyone on at 25's, or any other price before the final dec, should not be subject to a rule 4. The final dec in this case was in post #7 :rolleyes: At the time of withdrawal they were 9/4 jt fav, so it would only be 30p rather than 55p. New book formed and all that, so any bets after this would not require a rule 4. Uckfield would not be taken into consideration as they were 14/1 :tongue:

Out of interest, was it solely based on the own choice or a combination of that + march? If it's the latter was there weighting for the test piece over the march. Otherwise you have a dead heat in the second section :confused:

15. Paddy Flower

As usual LB i'll bow to your more indepth knowledge of the finer points. ;)

I think the main result is just on the own choice with seperate awards for the march.
    scaba Media lurks here from time-to-time so I'm sure a clarification could be on the way

16. Laserbeam bass

Amazingly, I didn't make any of that up :biggrin:

I do pity anyone who has to work out DH, JF/CF and Rule 4c deductions manually :eek:

17. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Spot on. 'Best March' is one of the additional awards, along with best instrumentalist etc.

18. Matt the Shed

Matt the Shed Member

shame there isn't an award for most mentions in the remarks :oops:

19. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Matt, I think you got more mentions in one day than I have...... ever!

20. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

What kind of comments did you get Matt? Good, bad, critical, volume etc? Just interested ;)

21. Matt the Shed

Matt the Shed Member

I played for two bands, both of which got very detailed comments about their percussion, which was really nice for a change. I think there were comments about a tuning issue, a couple of wrong entries, a couple of good comments. One of mine said that some of the detail in a tom part didn't come across, but other than that I got a whole bunch of comments saying I was too loud :biggrin:

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    scaba Spring Contest
    FONT=Arial
    Gareth Pritchard
    FONT
    Arial