scaba Solo, Quartet and Ensemble contest 2012

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Accidental, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

The scaba Solo, Quartet & Ensemble Contest was held yesterday in Ringmer.
    Adjudicators Lynda Nicholson (solos) & Jeremy Wise (quartets & ensembles)

Junior Slow Melody
    1 Rebecca Charters - Denmead Brass
    2 Maddy Groom - Lingfield Silver
    3 Kieran Johnston - Lingfield Silver

Youth Slow Melody
    1 Hannah Labus - Uckfield Concert Brass

Youth Ensemble
    1 Mid Sussex Brass

Junior Quartet
    1 East Sussex Music Service

Youth Quartet
    1 Denmead Brass
    2 East Sussex Music Service
    3 Mid Sussex Brass

Best interpretation – Junior / Youth - Denmead Brass
    Youngest Player Jessica Eaton, Mid Sussex Brass 5yrs

Open Slow Melody
    1 Richard Straker - Friary Guildford
    2 David Relf - Oxted
    3 Nigel Stevens - Friary Guildford
    (23 entries, only top 3 placings given)

Senior Solo (3rd & 2nd Section)
    1 Hannah Labus - Uckfield Concert Brass
    2 Simon Emberley - LGB Brass

Senior Solo (Champ, 1st & Open)
    1 Richard Straker - Friary Guildford
    2 Ed Ashby - Avelee
    3 Chris Straker - Friary Guildford
    (14 entries, only top 3 placings given)

3rd Section Quartet
    1 Lingfield Silver A
    2 Lingfield Silver C
    3 Patcham Silver C
    4 Lingfield Silver B
    5 Lingfield Silver D
    6 Patcham Silver B
    7 Patcham Silver A

2nd Section Quartet
    1 Denmead Brass A
    2 Denmead Brass B
    3 LGB Brass A
    4 LGB Brass B
    5 Mid Sussex Brass B
    6 Mid Sussex Brass A

‘B’ Ensemble
    1 Lingfield Silver
    2 LGB Brass B
    3 LGB Brass A
    4 Patcham Silver
    5 The Cobham Band
    6 Mid Sussex Brass

Open Quartet
    1 Friary Guildford
    2 Avelee A
    3 Avelee B
    4 Brass Fusion
    5 Bedford Town

‘A’ Ensemble
    1 Friary Guildford
    2 Avelee

Best interpretation - Senior sections - Friary Guildford, 'A' Ensemble
    Band entering most parties - Friary Guildford
  2. Accidental

Congratulations to everyone who took part, especially Friary's Goldenballs, Rich Straker! (we think he should get to keep the senior solo trophy now he's won 3 years in a row ;))

And well done Mr Wise for your comments before the results - it makes a nice change to hear an adjudicator managing to be honest and unapolagetic about it, without also really upsetting anyone!
  3. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

What did soloists play?
  4. Accidental

I can't remember them all, but there's a master list somewhere!

Slow Melody: Rich - Nessun Dorma, Dave Relf - Swedish Hymn, Nigel - Demelza. others included My Ain Folk, Berceuse de Jocelyn, Misty, Share My Yoke, Apres Un Reve
    Air Varie/florid: Rich - Jubilance, Ed - Bass in the Ballroom, Chris - Rule Britannia. others included Endearing Young Charms, Concert Prelude, Fantasy for Euphonium

the standard in the solo competitions was amazing, everyone did really well (including the pianists!)
  5. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

I enjoy solo contests.. been a few years now.. must look out for the entries next time... :)
  6. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Member

You were lucky!

He must still have been in a good mood after getting in the frame at Dover Contest the day before.
  7. Johncornetflugel

Johncornetflugel New Member

Correction, the result was actually:
    Junior Slow Melody
    1 Kieran Johnston - Lingfield Silver
    2 Rebecca Charters - Denmead Brass
    3 Maddy Groom - Lingfield Silver

Congratulations to all the Lingfield players who took part, especially the ensemble who in winning the "B" section beat a couple of 2nd section bands with a great performance of the "Royal Windsor" overture by J.A.Greenwood.
  8. scaba Media

scaba Media Member

Profuse apologies to Kieran, Rebecca and Maddy and their respective bands, Lingfield and Denmead. Unfortunately the gremlins chose to do their best and succeeded.

We confirm that the results are as John published - thanks for being on the ball.

Sally Coleman
    scaba Media
  9. jezza23361

jezza23361 Member

I am pleased that my comments didn't cause offence - I aim to be honest and straightforward. I have seen way too many adjudicators comments that gave the performers no idea of why they came last or down the pile. If it isn't together or if it is out of tune - I am obliged to say in my view. However - I did try to give some positive encouragement, especially to the youngsters. I was very disappointed in some of the piece choices - as I said on the day - it must be interesting to perform and listen to and quite a few really weren't. Thanks to Bob S too - yes I was certainly framed the day before.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  10. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

I'd bet folding money that the reason people played disappointing pieces because they didn't know any better ones, illustrating how important it is to get out and listen to new music whenever the opportunity arises. For example, I don't know if you had any euphonium quartets to judge, but if they had been at the RNCM last month they would have heard six or seven new pieces for that line-up which would have given them inspiration.
  11. Simon_Horn

Simon_Horn Member

Can I just give my thanks to both adjudicators on the day for sitting through so many entrants and providing great feedback. Also to the organisers for putting on this contest which is useful for players of all levels. I would encourage anyone who hasn't done this contest before to give it a go next. It was my first solo/ensemble contest and I really enjoyed it. I'm determined to go back next year and get in the prizes on one of the solo contests....the only downside was that anyone who came outside of the top 3 didn't have a final placing - which would have been useful...anyways, a good day was had by all! Simon