SCABA Quartet Contest

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by HBB, Feb 13, 2005.

1. HBB

HBB Active Member

Sorry, I only know the 2nd section results

(out of 12 entries)
    1st. Yiewsley and West Drayton 'B' (Elegy and Rondo) - 84
    2nd. Becontree Brass - 82
    3rd. Yiewsley and West Drayton 'A' (Tuba Sauce) - 81

Woooo! I got 1st! :) ;):biggrin:
  2. chriscole

chriscole Member

Yiewsley and West Drayton also picked up conductors/musical interpretation prize for the contest
  3. Di

Di Active Member

Wahaaay - Well done! :biggrin::biggrin::clap::clap:
  4. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

Woooooooooooooooo!!!! Go Yiewsley!!!!! :clap::clap::biggrin::biggrin:
  5. HBB

HBB Active Member

Well Done Chris!!
  6. Sam Atherton

Sam Atherton Member

It was nice to meet to Ben today, and YWD put in a fantastic performance - a well deserved win!!
  7. HBB

HBB Active Member

Cheers Sam, it was great to meet you too, shame you were placed so low :( .

P.s. I think you need to change your signature?!
  8. Sam Atherton

Sam Atherton Member

Well, we would have been placed higher if we'd actually made a decent job of playing the piece!;) As for the signature change, I'm not sure whether you mean the band name or my stuntgirl dive out of the college door, which definitely didn't involve a bouncy castle!
  9. HBB

HBB Active Member

The fact that you were Denmead today?
  10. barry toan

barry toan New Member

Becontree won the 'B' Section AND 'A' Section Ensemble prizes, and the 'B' Quartet(which I was in) came 2nd in the 2nd, 1st, AND Open competitions. 'A' Quartet (Trombones) also did well.....
    So a nice haul of cups/plaques to take back to Essex! :clap:
  11. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Don't you mean WE got 1st :?: ;) :D

Well done, anyway - and congrats to the Becontree crew ;)
  12. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

We had a smashing day out , helped by the quite respectable haul of pots and plaques.Unfortunately our "A" quartet rendition of "Four pieces for Four Trombones" , which we chose to interpret in psuedo-jazz free-form style , unencumbered by the strictures of key or time signature , did not win the recognition which i felt it deserved ( although we did come 4th with it !!!) despite my own unique rendition of the 3rd Trom part.

Top marks must go to the organisers (SCABA and the LGB band) who ensured what could have been a long day seemed to whizz past. And the sausage / bacon baps / pizza /chips were a work of genius!!
  13. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

conductors for quartets?!?!
  14. ed_the_euph

ed_the_euph Member

well done everyone

Speaking as one of the 5 members of non-competing audience, it was very interesting to see what went on.. and we will definitely be there fo a blow next year!
    Well done everyone, it was entertaining, especially the trombones, a true work of improvisational excellence.. some very nice sounds coming from the Friary mob especially..

See you all in the areas!

15. barry toan

barry toan New Member

Thats what we thought too! Amazing how many of the lower section quartets had conductors!! Surely defeating the whole point of 'ensemble' work!

Notably MOST of the groups that won DIDNT have conductors! :clap:
  16. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

yeah :)
    I spose its helpful for the junior ensembles etc tho who may feel a bit nervous without one.
    I remember playing in a Besses quartet at Elland Slow Melody a few years back and there was a prize for the winning conductor... :confused: we only found this out when we were presented it, so got a mate up from the audience and introduced him as the conductor, he has his engraved plaque at home still :wink: :tup
  17. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I seem to remember reading in David Read's book that they used a conductor when winning everything with the GUS quartet, and Gilbert Vinter's music ;)
  18. HBB

HBB Active Member

We had a conductor - and we didn't do too badly...
  19. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Cheers mate! Not bad considering we'd only had 4 rehearsals because 3 of us went on the band ski trip (which is why I was hobbling btw :( ), and 3 of us just changed instruments!

Well done Becontree - especially for wupping us in the ensemble, and congrats Ben! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Its just a real shame the contest isn't better supported - like you said, very little audience, and a shocking number of withdrawals. I guess not everyone was as prepared to make twits of themselves as we were!
  20. HBB

HBB Active Member

Anyone got the full results?