SCABA Hove Contest

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Dave Payn, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

..............there's no place like Hove!

Good luck to all bands competing at this contest on Sunday, (especially YWD! ;-))

I won't be playing as recent poor health has prevented me from picking up the instrument much over the last few weeks, but fully recovered now as I am, I shall be stewarding throughout the day so if you know me, do feel free to come and say 'hello', ''sod off' or whatever. I decided to get a new outfit for the day, from a stall allegedly selling gear from French Connection UK, but the logo for some reason looks more like WNAKER.... ;-)

Have a good day out!

Regards

2. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Cheers Dave, somehow I think we're gonna need it cause our Bb bass (the one that wasn't there on wednesday) is ill. :(

At least it's not the Areas!, and we'll have a few beers on the coach coming home! (well not too many cause I have to drive home :( ).

3. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Best of luck to everybody, and see you guys there!

4. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Best of luck to all competing at Hove.

I used to love the SCABA Spring Contest at Brighton but it seems to have lost some of its appeal now that it has moved down the road. Is there any possibility of a return to the Dome in the future?

D

5. Accidental

The Dome and Corn Exchange have recently been refurbished - they're absolutely fab now, but the hire prices have gone through the roof. :(
    You're right, the atmosphere at Hove just isn't the same...... something to do with the tiny bar and horrible beer perhaps?!

6. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

7. Accidental

1st Section results....
    1. Horsham Borough
    2. Yiewsley and West Drayton
    3. Becontree

March - Becontree
    Best Conductor, Best trombone, best bass section - Horsham
    Best horn section - Becontree
    Best bass trombone - BAE (?)

Well done everyone, and it was great to finally meet the YWD guys and Mrs H! (sorry Matt!)

And just in case you can't be bothered to follow Wooler's link, his band Mid Sussex won 3rd section and he was waving a nice shiny cup around in the bar (best conductor or summat?!), and Becontree won 2nd section. A clean sweep for us tMPers then! 8)

8. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Wrong way round.

Best Bass Trombone - BECONTREE
    Best Horn Seaction - BAE

Were you really THAT drunk Alex??

9. Accidental

I didn't think so!

10. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

If there are any other corrections, they'll have to wait until tomorrow when we've all sobered up!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Hove
    SCABA Hove Contest
    YWD
    French Connection UK
    selling gear
  12. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Hmmm. Must be the memory going then, eh???

Or was it just the euphoria of winning :?: :?: :?:

13. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Yes indeed. Well done to all bands and tMPers. Was a good day and a very well run contest (as usual).

14. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

What a super day! (though it was Incredibly hot on stage!). HUGE thanks to Dan from Staines for helping us out, your an absolute star mate!.

2nd Section results were :

1 - Beacontree
    2 - Sandhurst
    3 - YWDB :D

Well done to everyone, especially the organisers who didn't even moan when we arrived 5 minutes before registration! (we drew 1 in BOTH sections!, still at least we got some beers in!).

Nice to meet up with all the tMPers Dan, Accidental, MRSH.

Sorry I didn't get to chat to Nigel at the MMI stand, I was kind of busy rounding up players and sorting things out (hey I didn't even get to eat!) and by the time I got a breather you'd packed up and gone :(

15. Accidental

Hmmmm..... more likely the sulking about not winning the horn prize! Probably just as well though - scuppers anyone who was going to whinge about ringers!! :lol:

16. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Hee-Hee - not me. Seeing as though I would probably be considered in that category too. :wink: :wink: :wink:

17. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

I never moan about ringers, especially when they are such NICE ringers :D

18. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Yup, well done to all concerned. Andy Wooler modestly refrains from his own successes as Mid Sussex Brass won the 3rd section and Mr Wooler also went away with the conductor's prize so a hearty 'well done' to him!

A thoroughly enjoyable day out for the few hours I was there helping shift the various 'kitchen departments' and listening to a number of bands. I guess my fitness levels must be on the wane. Either that or percusiion instruments are getting heavier! (I fear, the former! ;-)

Good to see a number of tMPers there (WhatSharp, Steve Euph, HomocidalBennyBoy, ChrisCole, MRSH, Aardvark, Andy Wooler, LaserbeamBass - and of course many of my former colleagues at Crystal Palace Band - sorry if I left anyone off/didn't get to meet you!)

I shall be at Crawley in one capacity or another for the entertainments contest, but I guess that will be my final fling with SCABA before I move awa'! I'd find it very hard to believe there's a better local brass band association in the country. Friendly, efficient, courteous, patient (and boy, I've given them cause to be patient in the past!), it's been a real pleasure being involved in SCABA related contests since the mid 1980s. It's something I'm going to miss a lot.

19. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I do, but they're the sort of ringers who wake me up on a Sunday morning practising their campanological 'skills' in the local church!! ;-)

20. Dan

Dan Member

Thanks Steve. It was a pleasure to help you all out. YWDB were very welcoming and friendly and I am over the moon about the result in the 1st section. Bet the coach was pretty noisy on the way home! Hope you got great remarks (don't tell me if their were dodgy remarks about the snare drum in Kaleidascope or the dodgy Bell bit in Purcell!!) :D :oops: :D :oops:

Great to catch up with Alex (Accidental) and Nigel (Fingers??) after so long, you both looked great. And can't believe I missed MRSH for the 2nd contest in a row! Maybe Crawley?!

21. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Dan, I tried to catch up with you after your 1st Section performance but I didn't want to interrupt whilst you were packing up - I know how annoying that can be :evil: :evil:

Anyway, congrats to YWD who had a good day and I was also 'ringing' with Becontree who did brilliantly as well.

I will (possibly) be at Crawley as I was asked if I could help out Friary - but it depends what they're playing :?: :shock: :lol:

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Hove
    SCABA Hove Contest
    YWD
    French Connection UK
    selling gear