SCABA Hove 2008 Thread

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by andywooler, Feb 11, 2008.

1. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

So, who is planning on being at the Scaba Hove contest this year? I would hope that it not being on St George's day for a change will increase the attendance!

I'll be there on Sop with Uckfield Concert Brass - back in business after some 9 years away from contesting and also making my final appearance with Mid Sussex Brass as conductor .(I am hoping to take the Summer off before looking for a new conducting opportunity early next year).

2. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

I'll be there with Battle Town Band. I don't think they've done it much in recent years because of the clash with St George's Day so you're right, hopefully they'll be more bands than last year.

3. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

:bounce :-D Woohoo!! We'll be there anyway, but it would be worth going just to see UCB back in the saddle :-D :bounce
    has it really been 9 years?

4. andywooler

It has really been 9 years - the last Scaba event I can find record of was Brighton Dome in 1999 - we came 4th in the Championship Section playing Royal Parks - the programme suggests I was conducting that one. There was a later appearance at Aylesbury the following year but that was then about it. Last Regionals were also 1999.

5. Accidental

Blimey!

You're right about the last area in 99, but I thought our last contest was Aylesbury with DH in December 2000? I think (?!) that was the year of the mass exodus. Either that or I've lost a year, lol!

Anyway, it will be great to see those yummy green jackets back on a contest stage!! Which section?

6. andywooler

It was but the thread is a Scaba thread so correct to state returning after 9 years (pedant mode: off!
    2nd section and playing up too. And the bad news for fans of the old UCB Green uniform is that we will probably be wearing our new alternative stage gear.

7. Accidental

pedant, you? Never!!! :tongue:

The new gear must be VERY special to replace the old Santas Little Helpers uniform!

8. andywooler

A slight change - Mid Sussex Brass will not now be competing at Hove. See separate advert for the now vacant post of Musical Director.

9. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

I doubt wether my band will be at Hove this year. I might turn up with a couple of people from the band though.

10. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Brackley are intending to have a day out at the seaside

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    SCABA Hove 2008 Thread
    Dark Side
    MoonUckfield
    Thundersley - Purcell VariationsLGB
    Battle Town
  12. Accidental

It'll be good to see some new faces :)

So, anyone else?
    Friary will be there, 1st/champ section (combined section due to low entries....)

13. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Be good to see some old faces to. I havnt been to a Spring or Autmn or contest since circa 1998!!

14. lauren

lauren Member

Thundersley will be there in the 2nd and 1st/championship section.

15. Adamskied

Adamskied Member

So we will be playing against you this time then...he he he

16. lauren

lauren Member

Seems Rich and I will both be competing against our own bands then!!

17. Bungle

Bungle Member

Cranbrook Town won't be going :( We are preparing music for a recording and for our tour. Excellent contest though, good parking, good facilities, shops and pubs nearby.

18. lauren

lauren Member

So are we any clearer as to who is going this weekend then?

19. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

I've heard there will be 8 bands in the 2nd section.

These are the ones I know are going:

Battle Town Band
    Uckfield Concert Brass
    Thundersley
    LGB

According to their websites, Epping Forest and KM Medway Concert Brass are going. And Yiewsley & West Drayton normally do the Hove contest.

20. Aardvark

Aardvark Member

I've heard there are 10 bands in the Champ/1st section.

We'll be there (Brighton & Hove City)

21. bonodog

bonodog New Member

Betteshanger are going for the first time I believe.

Ian.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    SCABA Hove 2008 Thread
    Dark Side
    MoonUckfield
    Thundersley - Purcell VariationsLGB
    Battle Town