SCABA Entertainment Contest

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Accidental, May 16, 2008.

1. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

So, who’s going to be at Crawley on Sunday? The ones I know are
    B Section: Thundersley, LGB, St Sebs, Sussex Brass, Hangleton
    A Section: Friary, Welwyn, Regent, Horsham, Brighton, Chichester, Ocean

Any more?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    SCABA Entertainment Contest So
    ones
    Sussex Brass
    Section
    Chichester
  3. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

[FONT=&quot]Making up the A Section are: Brackley & District and Northfleet Brass.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Whilst I'm on - I am desperately after a conductor lead sheet for the Jack Peberdy arrangement of 12th Street Rag (the cornet trio version). I ordered it from Just Music and it's been over a week now and I still haven't got it despite being promised faithfully it would be here in time. Any band going on Sunday able to help me at all, please? Thanks
    [/FONT]

4. bobear

bobear New Member

Hi, I am new here….I don’t want to speak out of turn….However…

I am just shocked at the result in section B…

I assumed that in an entertainment contest the winning band would be one of the three bands that were entertaining!?!?!?

Not the band that performed a rhythmically untidy set, and had a lame gimmicky beer bottle feature.

5. Agna

Agna New Member

Sore loser by any chance...........

6. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Not only that but someone that has been banned from tmp on numerous occasions! His band today got disqualified too. Of course, I could be mistaken.

7. bobear

bobear New Member

J

Sorry to disappoint, but no I wasn’t playing today and I have only just joined tmp…never been banned from the site….and no I’m not currently playing in a band disqualified or otherwise.

Just was very surprised that’s all !!

No offence intended

8. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Well I'm sure the two posters before you meant that it's quite unusual for someone not actually registered or with no interest in a certain band to suddenly feel so strongly about a result of a competition to join tMP and post about it!
    There is always lots of 'we were robbed' after contests, but not 'some band i don't know anything about were robbed' !!

No offence meant ;-)

9. Flugelmahorn

Flugelmahorn Member

Well done to Friary Guildford on a great result. :)

10. bobear

bobear New Member

I heard all 4 bands….did you?

11. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

To be fair, that doesn't *usually* stop people commenting on here about who should have won, and who shouldn't!!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    SCABA Entertainment Contest So
    ones
    Sussex Brass
    Section
    Chichester
  13. Aardvark

Aardvark Member

A Section results from Crawley

Position Band Points Music Content Deportment
    1st Friary Guildford 95 58 28 9
    2nd Welwyn Garden City 90 56 26 8
    3rd Brighton & Hove City Brass 89 56 25 8
    4th Chichester City 86 55 24 7
    5th Regent Brass 85 54 23 8
    6th Ocean Brass 84 54 23 7
    7th Horsham Borough 82 58 28 8
    8th Northfleet 80 51 22 7

Highest unplaced 1st section band – Chichester City
    Best Soloist – Martin Buss, Brighton & Hove City Brass
    [FONT=&quot]Best Performed March – Friary Guildford

Well done Brighton & particularly Martin for winning the solo prize. Well done to the other prize winners too :clap:
    [/FONT]

14. Accidental

full results are on the SCABA website now. :biggrin:

I can't really comment on the B section results (except to say WELL DONE IAN!!!) as I wasn't there, but its worth bearing in mind that seperate points are awarded for Music (60), Entertainment Value (30) and Presentation/Deportment (10) and that may have influenced the overall result. The band that came 2nd also incurred several penalty points for over-running on time.

Well done Martin on a very well deserved and long overdue solo prize :clap:

15. HBB

HBB Active Member

HUUUUGE congrats to Welwyn Garden City!
    Nice to see you back! :)

16. lauren

lauren Member

Yes I think you'll find you are mistaken, especially as no bad got disqualified from the contest yesterday. A band got penalised by 5 points for running over time, but not disqualified.

17. Aardvark

Aardvark Member

Got the Horsham marks wrong - they should be:

18. COOL CORNET CAVE

COOL CORNET CAVE New Member

i played for thundersley on sunday and we got 5 penalty points
    and as we were only 4 points clear of LGB we came 2nd

Rhys Cave

19. bobear

bobear New Member

Thundersley were good, I had them as winning it….Not too keen on the dancers doing a waltz through the tango ….but much slicker than grade 1 bottle band.

I also thought St Sebastians Wokingham were fantastic on their first two pieces.

Chichester Youth Brass did a good set too….shame the bloke on the end had bad posture … all of the youth players managed to sit correctly – obviously the example wasn’t from him.

20. Accidental

I don't think anyone's disputing that Thundersley *should* have won - including the adjudicator - but unfortunately they broke the rule on timing and paid the price. In that context, LGB did deserve to win.

Bobear, who are you? Maybe you'd get a warmer welcome (and avoid the mistaken identity) if you introduced yourself and joined in a bit before jumping in with both boots on and criticising everyone? In the immortal words of Piglet, if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all! ;)

21. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

I thought that was Thumper? ( the Rabbit out of Bambi for all those youngsters out there ) :D

22. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Yes please. Especially as I am getting PM'd from a member of Thundersley, that I don't really want, for comments I have written on this thread.

My comments were meant in general, and in support of Ian. I apologise if they caused offence to anyone's delicate egos.

Last edited: May 20, 2008